• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Who has an ex police XJ?

Yes it works on all of them. I don't think it has any effect on the OBDII systems on your '96. If you need more advice on that, do a search on the Extended Idle, as your key words and it should get you to threads for this modification. If you need other help with it, PM me for more information.

Jeff

My son is driving ours, local sheriff vehicle, '99 XJ.
Before stock:
IMG_3073.jpg

After 4.5" lift and 32's:
IMG_3113.jpg

To answer your question, look down at your rear wiper/washer, and defroster switches which are just below your A/C controls(if you have that), there will be a switch marked Extended Idle. If you have it, then it came with the factory police prep package. That from my research is the true tell tale of a true police Jeep, as my FSM states that the Extended Idle Switch is for the police prep package ONLY with the 4.0 6cyl. So if yours has that then its likely a true one, otherwise, its just how the govt. ordered a ton of them. And you can actually add one to an XJ that doesn't have it. You simply have to ground the #10 pin on the ECU/PCM, and that does it. I got a '95 that was a rollover/total, and I pulled the entire unit out of it for my Jeep, and now that I got another one, mine will end up with this switch installed. It only works in Park or Neutral, and I also found that the 4cyl XJ's had a pressure switch for the PS, that actually runs to this same port, which kicks the idle up during steering where demand is super high. Its supposed to run off the same pin on the ECU/PCM.

Jeff

it looks like this...
2011-03-08173103.jpg

switch order may differ.

Or it looks like this, which replaces the panel to the left of the steering column:
100_2149.jpg

And its funny, cause my '94 has factory fog/driving lights, and there is already a switch in this postion, so I may punch out the panel on the right that only has the rear wiper/washer and put the switch there. I am still on the fence as to which switch I want where. But to answer the picture of the later model XJ, that is exactly where it is on our '99 police unit, which I also learned a few years ago also came with a factory engine block heater. My '85 Dodge Diplomat police car had one as well that was factory as well. So look on the intake manifold for the electrical cord, as that is where I found ours, but since the unit spends its time in a semi-heated garage, its not needed.

Jeff

Back