• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which year XJ is the best?

Ramsey said:
as new as you can while avoiding the 00-01
I'll assume you never owned one.
This guy just said he wanted a DD with maybe a 3" and 31's. I have near 4 inches in my 2000 with the low pinion dana 30 (I assume that's why you said that). I have NO more vibes than I had before the lift (I dropped the T-case 3/4"). What's the big deal? A newer one is going to be reliable for longer and that's what he's looking for. I'd trade reliability and a solid body for a little time in the garage swapping in a different axle (which he won't have to do unless he get's extreme). LOGIC

y2kxj said:
I'll assume you never owned one.
I'll assume you got lucky :) There is more to the LP and HP then vibes. IIRC the strenght is also an issue: for rear the LP is stronger and for front HP is stronger in forward motion (I think I got that right).

three reasons 1999 is the best

1. HP D30
2. 29 spline 8.25 rear
3. I have one in my garage.

I still think it's insane to consider passing up a newer vehicle for such an easy fix. I think alot of people must have alot of "luck" with these low pinion axles though since the local offroad shop has lifted tons of them and when I asked him he said it was never an issue untill you get into the higher lifts. Maybe it doesn't matter so much where you are but in Central New York EVERYTHING rusts out. Newer is better.

I'm digging my 98' Classic. I bought it in 2000 with 19k miles, have 62k on it now, and have had zero problems, except for the few I created doing little things to it here and there.

You can get a 93-94 in great shape for less then 5K with a HO4.0, non-disco HP30, 8.25, NP231, and which ever transmission you really want.
If you want 4.88's later spend 200 bucks on a D-44 and while youre at it drop the extra 22 bucks and install some disc brakes.
You'll save a ton of money buying an older one if you wheel it and junk yards are full of them to pick what parts you really want it to have.

Ramsey said:
as new as you can while avoiding the 00-01

I'll disagree, though I do take the HP/LP points raised previously - but if you're going to replace them with 44's anyway it's something of a moot point ;)

There are some advantages to the 2000-2001 XJs, though. No distributor being one - I may have killed the TPS in water, but at least I didn't have to worry about drying out the distributor cap and ignition leads later. Having the torque come on lower in the rev range makes it a lot more flexible, too. Not knocking the earlier models, but to me the runout XJs are the ones to go for.

bigwhitey said:
You'll save a ton of money buying an older one if you wheel it and junk yards are full of them to pick what parts you really want it to have.

Junk Yards arent the greatest anymore, can you believe they wanted to charge me 350 for a "new" liftgate that has a nice hole in the corner.
They are getting just as bad as the dealerships.
A junk yard in my area, charges 60 bucks for each pull, can you believe that.

Hey its a Jeep, thats all we need to say. The XJ is so great they kept making them for years after its replecment hit the marketplace.

Last edited:
Well Daimler is still making the XJ for other markets around the world.
No pollution control standards. The same vehicle with a minor facelift. And a manual tranny only avail. I think they cost around 14-15,000 brand new in China. Thats in american $$.
They just had it on the Speed Channels airing of the Bejing Auto Show.

Blazair said:
three reasons 1999 is the best

1. HP D30
2. 29 spline 8.25 rear
3. I have one in my garage.
funny those are the same reasons i think the 99 is best, also having owned a 94, the 99 seems better. granted i have never seen a 97+ model in the junkyard

1991 +
I have the 1990 laredo and have dumped lots of $$$ into fixing it. Front/rear seals, transmission overhaul, cooling system etc. Also for the 1990, it is the first year for the Fuel Injection and trying to upgrade parts is difficult. Parts like headers, FIPK's etc. are usually available for the 1991 + years. The 1990 is ALWAYS left out. Figure out what you want to do with it and start looking at all the parts you need and check the availability for the vehicle you are going to get.

xp153 said:
1991 +
I have the 1990 laredo and have dumped lots of $$$ into fixing it. Front/rear seals, transmission overhaul, cooling system etc. Also for the 1990, it is the first year for the Fuel Injection and trying to upgrade parts is difficult. Parts like headers, FIPK's etc. are usually available for the 1991 + years. The 1990 is ALWAYS left out. Figure out what you want to do with it and start looking at all the parts you need and check the availability for the vehicle you are going to get.

??? fuel injection came out in 87 and can be upgraded with ford injectors.

Back