• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Winch??? What do you have and what do you suggest?

Which Winch do you have and suggest?

• Total voters
I know you hear you get what you pay for....but the Warn M8000 at $550 seems like a great deal with it's 4.8 hp motor and 8K Warn pulling power. I had a 8000i so is the M8000 very similar? I would love the XD9000i, but for $750+, I don't see the $200+ price difference as enough of a step up. I would want the 8274 if I was looking in the $900+ range.

What do you guys think about the Tabor 9K, it is said to be originally Magnum and bought by Warn with Warn warranty etc? I see them as low as $479, but I think I rather get the Warn M8000 and pay $550. The Tabor 9K has a 4.3 hp motor and the M8000 4.8 hp motor.

one thing about the tabor is if I remember correctly the warranty is basically nonexistent and I believe it's a permanent magnet instead of series wound motor... I earlier said go with warn, but I also have heard good things about the Tmax winches

Okay, multimounts are TEH SUCK.
They are nothing more than a rock anchor and a hinderance to approach and departure angles.
They're downright scary when used for side pulls.
The only vehicle I can see one being useful on is a pickup that never sees trail use.
YMMV

The CHAMPION 7500 winch available at your local Sams Club for 299 would be my reccomendation.. that way you dont feel bad when it gets stolen again

I started out with a Ramsey REP 6000 in my 84 XJ because it was offered as an option by AMC. It bought the farm after about 8 yrs. so it was replaced with an REP 8000 (the same over all size). That winch is now in my 91 XJ. The plug in is high in the grill. I picked the REP because it had a vary low amp draw. As for pulling the XJ backwards, That's the job of the high lift jack and an extra 100' of cable. Add to that a tree truck saver, 2 snatch blocks, an axe, shovel, anchor, and a snatch stap. Don't forget good shoes if all of that doesn't work!

XJ_ranger said:
The CHAMPION 7500 winch available at your local Sams Club for 299 would be my reccomendation.. that way you dont feel bad when it gets stolen again

HA HA.

I just picked up a Warn M8000 at 4 wheel parts for $550 with a roller fairlead and 100' cable and 30' tow strap. Quite a deal, now I'm just trying to finalize what winch bumper I want and I should be back in business. I like the option of being able to take the winch off and into the garage when done with it, but I don't like how low the multi mount is. Thanks for the feedback on it. I talked to the reps at 4 wheel and they told me about Tuffy bolt locks. I'm going to get those or just get my bolts tack welded to deter theft in the future. Maybe also a few alarm and NRA stickers will help. :)

Other: Well not really a winch, a 3000 lb rated come-along with a sheave to double it. I may upgrade to a High Lift. This been a fantastic solution to all my winching needs over the past year. I havent used it once. An often overlooked benefit of a come-along is that it promotes sensible and very cautious driving.

John

So far i have really liked my T-max EW9000, have only used it a couple of times but really like it so far and with the addition of the boomer box for both wired and wireless control for around 700 it is hard to beat, will try it out more hopefully at NW Fest in august.

14jx6bc.jpg

14jxg00.jpg

You know it is just one of those things when they are new you like to play with it, but then the newness wears off and it just becomes another tool that you like to have just in case you need it.

Warn M8000, HS9500, or 8274

The winches integrated solenoids will give you a winch with 25' or so more cable, but the solenoid are a PITA to replace, and tough to field service with a starter solenoid if one fails. They also end up with all sorts of garbage in the solenoid housing after a yea or so.

I have an XD9000i and isn't as good as an M8000, IMHO- you end up with a slower winch, and $200 less in your pocket. The M8000 is on sale today only at 4WP for $500 with free shipping and a tow strap or receiver hook.

Cooter said:
Warn M8000, HS9500, or 8274

The winches integrated solenoids will give you a winch with 25' or so more cable, but the solenoid are a PITA to replace, and tough to field service with a starter solenoid if one fails. They also end up with all sorts of garbage in the solenoid housing after a yea or so.

I have an XD9000i and isn't as good as an M8000, IMHO- you end up with a slower winch, and $200 less in your pocket. The M8000 is on sale today only at 4WP for $500 with free shipping and a tow strap or receiver hook.

Good to see you over here on NAXJA Cooter. I saw you all over the place when I was visiting my family in Northern Illinois (Rockford).

Wow, that's quite a good deal to get a M8000 for $500. I got mine a week ago at the store in Sacramento for $550 with the tow strap and thought that was awesome, it still is a great deal, but $500 is $50 better Go treat yourself and the little lady to a nice dinner with the $ you saved. :)

Cooter said:
You didn't see on the Rock River did you?

I did some wakeboarding there. :laugh:

Did you ever get out to the Cliffs?

My parents have showed me the latest and greatest that Rockford has to offer in an attempt to have me move back out to Illinois. I'm staying put in Cali. I was going to check out the pick n pull/junk yards, but I hear you got them totally picked clean. Ya rat bastid :laugh:

I'm waiting a month on a winch bumper I ordered so I'm winchless for now, thanks for the input, I was thinking about the XD9000i, but I couldn't pass up the deal on a new M8000. I can also stow the solenoid (pack) inside my Jeep where my stock air box was now that I run a small K&N cone filter.

Troy

I like all the Warns. I got the M8000 on the front of the '79 Traveler, and I have a multi mount REP8000. I have used the REP8000 on my XJ to pull Scouts onto trailers and to unstick vehicles as needed. Multi mounts work excellent, except when you have them mounted ALL THE TIME!! I agree they don't work as well for side pulls, but then neither do regular permanent mount winches. The cable piles up on the spool and can crack the housing, in the case of the REP8500 that I got off of ebay for $250. It also didn't have the soleniod pack. I have since replaced the pack components with Ramsey factory parts, and just have to order a motor to get that one ready to put on the XJ. I know I own two Ramseys and one Warn, but the Warn is the better IMHO.

Jeff

Back