• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Winch??? What do you have and what do you suggest?

Which Winch do you have and suggest?

• Total voters

Big Red

NAXJA Forum User
I just had my Warn 8000i winch and Olympic bumper stolen. I'm looking very closely at the M8000 which I can get new for $550 or the XD9000i which is more, but really tempting. What winch do you have and what do you suggest? The M8000 has a 4.8hp motor whereas the XD9000i has a 4.6 hp motor. Does this matter, or do you need to look more at pull speed, stall weight etc? Also I'm thinking about getting a multi mount to be able to move my winch from front to back, but more importantly bring it off the street so it doesn't get stolen again. I know I should of had the bumper and winch bolts welded, but I didn't expect someone to take my whole bumper and winch which weighs 130 lbs+

Troy

IntrepidXJ said:
the M8000 is a solid winch at a good price. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one

I see that the M8000 has a square pack guts that has a weak mount to the actual spool as apposed to a handle with integrated guts package (sorry I don't know the term for this). Is there any negatives to either type? I sort of associated the sqaure pack with the cheap winches I see like the MM 8K electric, Harbor Freight cheapy, etc, is this valid? I see Warn has "Premium winches" in their lines with this square pack with the big "W" on it. I'm really looking to stay with the Warn winches that I can use in the multi mount option because I'm really leaning that way. I know lots of you say it is bad, but I love how you can bring the winch out of the elements outside (weather & thieves) as well as using the winch on multiple vehicles front or back.

Big Red said:
I sort of associated the sqaure pack with the cheap winches I see like the MM 8K electric, Harbor Freight cheapy, etc, is this valid?

i would say no....it's not valid. it's just 2 different ways to build a winch. not necessarily cheap vs. good winches. some bumpers are built so that you cannot use an integrated winch. some people don't like the breakout box. comes down to application and preferance.

I like my Warn M8000.
You also need to get a pulley block. Pirate has a good article on the pull rate when you are stuck. Goes well beyond 8 or 9k.

I wouldn't buy ANYTHING, from Harbour Freight. Just too many bad experiences I guess. I'd go Warn. Then Ramsey. Just my 2 cents.

MM hydraulic winches start at 9,000 lb. I've got one and would prefer an electric that can speed up with decreased load while making a long slick recovery, like a snowy hill.

The 2-speed feature requires the operator to change gears and change back when the load climbs again. Alternative is to wait whenever slack happens.

depending on the type of bumper you decide on, it will limit your winch choice... the ARB bull bars for instance couldn't accept the 9k lb warns b/c they have integrated solenoids and the ARBs size constraints won't allow it. If you're using a bumper style that is top mount like JCR, protofab, etc then I would go with any of the warns, you get what you pay for that's for sure.

I have both an XD9000I and 9500Si.. I think the Si is way over priced and the Ti would be a better general choice.

The XD is probably the best overall combination of performance to value.

Hope this helps,
Kent

The m8 has proven itself for a long time, when I was able to find a brand new one locally for $350 I jumped on it. I would not hesitate to buy one at retail either. For the money it is in my opinion the best winch on your list.

My second choice would be an 8274, i've seen more than a few of them do more than they were rated, repeatedly without failure.
Josh

I was a diehard Warn fan until I started researching then finally bought the Tabor 9k. It's made by Warn with Warn parts. It shares almost everything except the motor, carrier, and a few odds and ends. I used it a ton at an offroad park about a week later. It peformed flawlessly. My second shoice would be the M8000 or XD9000i.

i bought a used ramsey 6000 about a 1 year ago. i use it as a multi mount. ive been in more situations were ive needed to go back instead of forward. i mean think about it theres a reason your not moving forward. specailly down here in florida where all we have is swamps and mud flats.
one thing i like most about this winch is that the little box fits snug under the motor. not like the warn m8000 were it looks out of place. the other thing i like about ramsey is that its made in the USA.

warnxd9000i

You can't argue with with proven quality. When you are out there wheelin, look and see what is on the rigs you are with. I bet most of them are warn. I absolutly love mine.

Also, unless you do mud there is not a whole lot of reason for a multi mount. I just went from the multi mount to a solid mount in the front. It was killing my approach angle and tearing up my warn.

Here is a link that was just started a few days ago.

http://www.naxja.org/forum/showthread.php?t=85546

I've been using a Ramsey REP 8000 for a couple of years with out any problems.Its pretty slow but does the job.I've got the solenoids mounted under the hood and the switches mounted on the front of my center console so I dont have to hook up the remote.I just hit the power/kill switch and the "in" and "out " switches are right at my fingertips.

WARN XD9000i

Won it for $60 in a raffle and LOVE IT! This thing has been nothing but the best! If this one dies, I will not hesitate to buy another!!!

mewinchresize.JPG

winch.JPG

I am digging my new T-Max EW9000. For the price, it is pretty heavy duty. From what I understand it is the same as the Summit winch.

Back