• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Which Shocks For My Rig (long arms) and Her Rig [(Homebrew 3") Also Track Bar Q?]

Re: Which Shocks For My Rig (long arms) and Her Rig [(Homebrew 3") Also Track Bar Q?]

I'd recommend the 360/80 valving on some Bilsteins any day. It's a wee bit sharper over bumps, but speed bumps are nothing to me now, and even with no sway bars, it stays very level through corners and isn't even too bad on emergency maneuvers either.

Re: Which Shocks For My Rig (long arms) and Her Rig [(Homebrew 3") Also Track Bar Q?]

5150s all the way brian. I actually ordered mine through trail gear. They were the cheapest I could fine. I took a holesaw to the front upper mount, made custom brackets above the fender, and ran longer shocks. The back I actually shortened the stock shock mounts on the axle for clearance and ran a shorter shock.

Sorry I was browsing around and just realized I got my numbers mixed up. I went with the 5125s with 255/70 valving. I am very happy with them but Kinda wondering if I shoulda spent the extra 80 bucks and went with the 5150s.

I LOVE the 5150's I put on the rear of my XJ. Fully loaded and bombing around the race track this weekend, as well as towing... great shocks. No fading, no issues. I knew what to expect from every bump.

are there seriously no decent cheaper shocks out there for the little one???? I dont care to fork out money for something like 7100's for my rig.... but man.. Id like to save a few bucks on hers...lol

I've ran cheap shocks and I've ran OME. If you want it to be rough riding buy cheap shocks. The extra cost of the Good shocks will be worth not having to hear "it rides rough, i want to trade it off for a new Kia"! :D

I've only had them on for about 200 miles, but I went with Bilstein 5150s on mine. 4.5" of lift. The fronts are 12" travel, 255/70. Fit very nicely, though my lower shock mounts are about 2" lower than stock. Bilstein sells a top stud adapter then removes the standard eye - very clean install there. Flex is really good - shocks certainly aren't limiting anything.

For the rear, I went with 12" travel 5150s also. Turns out they are too long. I'll need to replace them with 10" travel units.

So far, the ride is very nice, but admittedly I haven't put enough off road miles on them to really tell yet. But the price point was a reasonable compromise at $100 per shock.

David Bricker / SYR

WHat's required for JK shocks to mount up?

I bolted them right up to my 97, all I had to do was slightly enlarge the bushing a bit, lube the bushings up and round the edges a bit on the bar pins that were in my RC shocks and install them into the JK shocks. Worked like a charm and it rides great.

Back