• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to put amp so it doesnt get stolen

How about in the trash. No one needs a "system". Heck I don't even have a stereo. How in the world will you be able to hear the various clunks and bangs in you Heep? You'll catch the problem when your wheel goes rolling down the street without you when it's too late. Psh forget stereos, listen to the beautiful song of your wispering engine.

james
www.geocities.com/jammerjamesharmon

amps6wc.jpg

I have mine on the side where the spare tire went, but I put the one for the zj under the back seat. Haven't had any problems yet, but we don't listen to real bass heavy music mostly rock, nor is it excesivly loud so those might be a factor.

Gojeep said:
I fitted mine nice and high under the dash where it vents well and it takes no usable space!

DashR.jpg

It is hard up against the back of the fuse box.
Nice, I never thought about sticking mine there.

I put a small system in my jeep, 4 component sets and a nice 4 channel amp. The amp lasted about a year and 2 complete dunkings before it fried spectacularly. Wheeling and nice audio components don't mix.

Last edited:
Starboard M said:
Where did that guy mount it? I just see the sub. Do you really need an amp if you are running just, say one 10''? Im deff. a newbie when it comes to sound systems.
yeah you definately need an amp for any type of subwoofer that you have, i have one ten and it hits pretty hard, there is no where near enough power coming out of the headunit

Sorry about all the questions (Im not even the original poster :laugh3:). Ive heard that you have to keep the amp as close to the sub as possible. Is this true? If you mount the amp under the dash, and the sub in that cubby in the back, would that hurt anything? I dont have the best system at all, so if its only a small difference then it will be fine. Thanks

the only thing it would hurt is loss in quality from it having to go through all that cable. It wouldnt be bad because it is either going to be a RCA cable going from your headunit to the back of your jeep or your speaker wire. It would probably be cheaper to do it under the dash because you dont have to run a real long power cable the whole way back. You should just get the highest quality speaker wire that you can get and it may sound a bit better than if youd have the amp in the back. I used to be into all that stereo stuff a while ago but then i realized that its way cooler to have something that can go through 3 feet of mud rather than kill your ears. Just a thought though.

Starboard M said:
Sorry about all the questions (Im not even the original poster :laugh3:). Ive heard that you have to keep the amp as close to the sub as possible. Is this true? If you mount the amp under the dash, and the sub in that cubby in the back, would that hurt anything? I dont have the best system at all, so if its only a small difference then it will be fine. Thanks

The main thing to watch out for is the RCA cables. It is very important to keep these away from interference. Running longer speaker wire to the amp will not lower the quality so much as it will limit the power you can run to the sub with the same gauge wire. Anyways, when you run the RCA's, designate one side of the Jeep to have the power cable and one side to have the RCA's. Since the RCA's run at a lower voltage ( ex. 1.5V- 5V) they are open to interference. This is why you see so many of them with various shielding, helix twist and running ground wires in a braid fashion with them. In mine I ran the RCA's straight down the middle, the power and ground returns on the drivers side, and the front speaker wires up the passenger side.

I've got an 800 watt amp under the rear seat and have driven with it up pretty high for 5 hours straight and not had any problems, but I propped the drivers side of the seat where it's mounted up so theres plenty of space for hot air to flow up.

dothedew24_7's post is what you really want to pay attention to. If you're not doing water crossings than you can put the amps anywhere, just pay attention to where you run the wires. It can make a big difference in sound quality!

Re: Where to put amp so it doesnt get stolen

...in your hourse; in the basement; in a fireproof safe; buried in concrete.

It doesn't matter where else you put it. If someone wants to steal it, it'll be gone.

Not sure if this would work or not, but I was thinking of making an enclosure roughly the same size as the spare tire, since I pulled mine out and put a spare right in the back on the floor. I would put the amp on back and the sub in the front, then simply put it in the stock location and putting the original spare tire cover on if it still fit, and nobody would know it was there, seeing most people wouldnt think to check there. However i dont know how this would work acoustically, but would definatly be dry, space saving, and hidden in plane sight...

98XJSport said:
Not sure if this would work or not, but I was thinking of making an enclosure roughly the same size as the spare tire, since I pulled mine out and put a spare right in the back on the floor. I would put the amp on back and the sub in the front, then simply put it in the stock location and putting the original spare tire cover on if it still fit, and nobody would know it was there, seeing most people wouldnt think to check there. However i dont know how this would work acoustically, but would definatly be dry, space saving, and hidden in plane sight...
Spare tire stealing gangs would find a nice surprise.

True lol talk about an added bonus when you just think its a donut spare....

Notice the metal stock...

...securing the two under seat amps (for front Infinities and rear sub, RF in jl box I think). I bent some 1" stock, drilled holes through the ends and the floorboards, and after bolting them over the under seat amps and mauled the bolt head and threads, after installing the nuts, mauling those also so a wrench is relatively useless (I hope). Undercoated and greased the nuts beneath, slowing down vise grips.

Rear speaker amp behind the area where the spare used to go. All JBL's.

The 10" driver really does not sound very tight, the 6.5" separates in front really keep the bass tight if the recording is done right (BS Paranoid good example, anything by Fagen or Becker, too).

I'm thinking about using a number of 8" drivers in lieu of the sub, but can't spare the cash now, saving for a house.

http://community.webshots.com/album/206280455qIlgHv

[email protected]

Mike #300

ps...

ps, you know how no one bothers paying attention to an auto alarm siren when it goes off on your street? Go to Radio Shack and pick up some piezo sirens, they're about 1.5" across, and mount a couple hidden in the cabin in lieu of the external siren. It's kinda impossible to shield your ears with your hands from 110db x # of piezos installed while under stress trying to molest your pride and joy. I hate dishonest people :hang:

Mike #300

Back