• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to mount the CB?

Photo0040Medium.jpg

I have mounted CB's on both sides of the shifter. The one on the passenger side is just like the others that have been posted. If you push the seat all the way up before installing it you will be fine. My last CB was large and fit fine. Here are some pics of the one that installed on the Driver's side. It was a smaller CB and I never had any problems with it hitting my legs. Although you can see that it is close, and I don't think a bigger CB would have fit. I am 6' 01" and ride with the seat all the way back, just for reference.

AndysCamera095.jpg

AndysCamera097.jpg

AndysCamera098.jpg

aci4369 said:
I have mounted CB's on both sides of the shifter. The one on the passenger side is just like the others that have been posted. If you push the seat all the way up before installing it you will be fine. My last CB was large and fit fine. Here are some pics of the one that installed on the Driver's side. It was a smaller CB and I never had any problems with it hitting my legs. Although you can see that it is close, and I don't think a bigger CB would have fit. I am 6' 01" and ride with the seat all the way back, just for reference.

AndysCamera095.jpg

AndysCamera097.jpg

AndysCamera098.jpg
I have a Cobra 25LTD Classic mounted there with no issues at all.

i have mine mounted on the passenger side of the center console, there by the tranny stick. my radio is large, galaxy 959, and it does'nt get in the way one bit. ive had people from 5'6" 140lbs to 6'1" 350lbs and thay had all the clearance thay needed. only drawback i can see is the speaker gets a little hard to hear with it fireing and the trans tunnel. but i hate them speakers anyway, i always have an extention speaker.

I have mine mounted in the same place as aci but instead of just letting the mic dangle around the shifter I mounted the mic holder to the thin plastic piece right above the cigarette lighter and looped the chord around the shifter to keep it out of the way, no clearance problems and can be heard decently while on the trail.

Have ever seen anyone mount a small CB in place of the ashtray on a pre-97 XJ? The ashtray cover on my 92' just broke and won't stay closed...haven't gotten into it deep enough, but thought that would be a good placement if it will work. Any ideas on that one?

Peregrine said:
Have ever seen anyone mount a small CB in place of the ashtray on a pre-97 XJ? The ashtray cover on my 92' just broke and won't stay closed...haven't gotten into it deep enough, but thought that would be a good placement if it will work. Any ideas on that one?

I'm not sure about the ash tray, but I bet there is enough room for an aftermarked AM/FM and a small CB to be fit directly into center dash.

smccollamjr said:
Here's mine:

IMG_2087.jpg

Hey great idea. I'm been thinking about getting a scanner. I think this would be the perfect place to put it, assuming I can find one the right size.

jwtrapper said:
switches.jpg

Here is a picture of my overhead console on the bench. I like having the cb right there. Its easy to hear and easy to reach and its out of the way.

Any more pics or details on this. I have the same radio and overhead console and have been thinking about this option. What I'd really like to do is mount it the other direction and insert it into the plastic area that you have your switches located, cut the portion of the sunglass holder so that it is only a door, drill speaker holes in the plastic so I can hear, and then just open the sunglass door and plug in the mic when I want to use it. There is plenty of room for my unit, but the problem is there is a circuit board that is located there; what is it and what is it for? Can I simply relocate it further back?

Peregrine said:

:confused:

Um, yes? Scroll back to post #18 and see the picture? I had the same problem with a half broken ashtray and didnt' want to be banging my shin on the CB off road, let alone in and accident.

--Tom

I mounted mine on the passenger side of the plastic center console piece with about 1/4" clearance from the dashboard. It's completely out of my way and 99% out of the passenger's way, I can read the face (albeit upside-down) the speaker is plenty loud enough, and the mic hook is handy on the aft end of the unit. Ran the antenna cable back along the trans hump and under the rear seat into the cargo area, I pull out the magnetic antenna and route it through the upper gap between the hatch and body to stick it to the roof, there's enough room there that it doesn't crush the cable when closed. That way the antenna is not an issue for garage clearance, nor can it be broken off or stolen by random assholes when it's parked.

TomMcD said:
Here's what it looks like with out the CB in place.

cbmountempty.JPG

--Tom

That's close to what I am looking for...I am wondering if it's possible to mount it flush (horizontally, much like the heater control/stereo) in the lower dash in that area...then I would just trim it up if it didn't look too good. There may be heating ducts behind that area...I haven't gotten time to poke around back there yet. would most likely have to have an external speaker as the speaker would be covered up by the dash though.

Last edited:
I mouted it like that so I could use the internal speaker and hear it, and with the radio in place with the mic attached it looked alright. It's been a while but I think there is ducting for those lower vents directly behind the ashtray. You could cut a mounting hole and then fab up a little enclosure for the radio but it's still going to get pretty warm when you have the heat cranked.

I thought about blocking off the vent in the dash and mounting it there but since I didn't need the ashtray and it was half hanging down anyway I didn't see the point of doing the extra work.

--Tom

TomMcD said:
I thought about blocking off the vent in the dash and mounting it there but since I didn't need the ashtray and it was half hanging down anyway I didn't see the point of doing the extra work.

--Tom

Hmmm...that's another idea...I never use my a/c and really don't need that vent there...I guess the dash panel is coming off this weekend! Thanks for the input. (you are right about that heat...don't know how to avoid that situation)

AnzaJeep said:
Any more pics or details on this. I have the same radio and overhead console and have been thinking about this option. What I'd really like to do is mount it the other direction and insert it into the plastic area that you have your switches located, cut the portion of the sunglass holder so that it is only a door, drill speaker holes in the plastic so I can hear, and then just open the sunglass door and plug in the mic when I want to use it. There is plenty of room for my unit, but the problem is there is a circuit board that is located there; what is it and what is it for? Can I simply relocate it further back?

The circuit board that is there is for the remote entry. You can move it. I took it off and wrapped it in electrical tape and moved it forward above the headline. I like having it mounted there.

Back