• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Where to get gears installed in bay area

What type of gear ratios are you guys running? I have 33" tires on my rig with stock gears right now, but I'm not sure what gear ratio is best, any suggestions?

Manual transmission here.

I run 31" and 3.54, so I am "stockish" on highway ( stock was 28" and 3.07). I get extra torque with teralow 4:1 on trail.

There is one frequently omitted reason to have higher gears.
The lower your gears, the more RPM your driveshaft will have at the same speed. The more your driveshaft RPM, the closer to perfect all your driveline angles have to be.

Another reason is that moving away from stock will give you different gas mileage.

What transmission?
If you have an auto I'd go 4.88, if a manual I'd go 4.56.

Manual trans, 4.88 gears, and 33's worked great for me. I run 35's now and I wish I still had that slight gearing advantage when climbing grades on the highway. :dunno:

Thanks for your info, My tranny is an ax15, I was thinking 4.10's or 4.56, because i do a lot of highway driving and don't want my rpms to be too high.

I wish I still had that slight gearing advantage when climbing grades on the highway. :dunno:

I hope that train horn is not too quiet for your liking. :)

I’m running 4.56 with 35’s, auto and a 4.5 stroker. I feel the pinion gets too small with the 4.88.

Yeah, the pinion is a bit small. But how many pinion gears have you heard of breaking as opposed to the ring gear? I blew up Yukon and an Alloy USA short side shafts without breaking the ring gear or pinion gear. I did the set-up myself a few years ago and have had zero problems with it. Precision gears are my gear of choice based on my experience so far.

I prefer 5.13s with 35s. I'm running them now with 37s and a (REALLY) healthy 4.7 but I still think the 5.13s aren't low enough when in high range.

I run 5.13's with the Atlas 5:1 and 37's too, almost the same as Jes, but I have a differnet transmission.

Also 5.13's and 37's on the street is not bad, first is short and at 90 mph the RPM's are up there.

He said 90 on 37's:worship::scared::rolleyes::smoker:

Here is 95 just over 3 grand on 37's, but the speed'o might be off a little, I put in a new speed'o gear for the 5:1 with 4.56 and 33's a few years back and never changed it.

95MPH_18341.jpg

My Prius tops out at 107, frick'in speed limiter on the thing:
107_I5_18161.jpg

Edit: My Prius is NOT on 37's!

Last edited:
For the north end folks - River City Differential in Sacramento has set a bunch of gearsets for friends of mine, and always had perfection.

I think he goes be gearman on Pirate4x4, and is a POR member? maybe not though. Dude knows his stuff, and does ca$h deal$...

Yeah, the pinion is a bit small. But how many pinion gears have you heard of breaking as opposed to the ring gear? I blew up Yukon and an Alloy USA short side shafts without breaking the ring gear or pinion gear. I did the set-up myself a few years ago and have had zero problems with it. Precision gears are my gear of choice based on my experience so far.

I have not broken my polished 30 yet (knock on wood). The smaller the pinion the fewer teeth engaged with the ring. Just the little voice in my head telling me bigger is better.
I run 2700 rpm at 65 mph (GPS); my Speedo reads 5 mph fast at 70 mph with the stock gear.

Yeah I had a ARB put in a Dana 30 with gears at Rearend Specialties for $150. Good price but I had to bring the axle in, if it was under the jeep it would have been more.

But no pinion shims were used :cool: and so there was no pinion torque at all. The gears only lasted about 2 years, and thats with wheeling at least once or twice a month. :bawl:

So because of that and a few other issues I am not a very big fan of Rearend Specialties.

Also kj139, post up that list of questions, I am sure we can all use some more good infomation.

x2
I had them put in an ARB and beefier aftermarket shafts. They told told me to keep it under 40 MPH for the first 100 miles, which I did. the first time I got on the freeway, it all went to hell within 30 miles. They were good about replacing the R&P but 4 months later...while on my way to the Moab Fall Fling...same thing.

x2
I had them put in an ARB and beefier aftermarket shafts. They told told me to keep it under 40 MPH for the first 100 miles, which I did. the first time I got on the freeway, it all went to hell within 30 miles. They were good about replacing the R&P but 4 months later...while on my way to the Moab Fall Fling...same thing.

I don't get this from Rearend Specialties, some people think they are the best around. Maybe they just have one guy that REALLY sucks?

Back