• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

When you break a D35 what actually breaks?

jeepcomj said:
i'm willing to bet it's because he's a idiot who's running 38.5 iroks on a dana 35.

gawd tell me he didn't give up on the jeep based on the fact that it had a dana 35, and he couldn't get his thumb out his butt long enough to realize that you CAN'T expect a dana 35 to hold up to any abuse, whatsoever!

sorry, I'm not trying to come off like a jerk...too much. but even Jeep has stated that the dana 35 is a street use axle, and jeep dealerships tell you that they'll spill their guts out with factory tires. easy.

anyways. I blew a dana 35's spider gears into the pinion, which wrecked the ring gear, and seized the bearings. that was when i had a 2.8 in the jeep
since then, I've blown the ring/pinion on another one, snapped one shaft on another, and two more sets of spiders..this is with the camaro 3800 v6 that i put in the jeep.

now, i've kept the axle because all along I've had the dana 44 for it with 4.10 gears, and have been looking for a matching front. i blew the axle the first time a couple years ago, then the rest of them are within the last year since i dropped in the motor. new axles are being installed for the simple fact that the dana 35 is a poor choice by anyone.

you gave the 35 a second chance?????fool me once

bcmaxx said:
you gave the 35 a second chance?????fool me once

2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 5th.

reason being, i had dana 35's at all points, they were all free, and all matched my current front gears; if i have parts, i'll use them. time i can make available, and i'm not spending $$$ on new gears and someone to set gears.

so, i just wanted to enjoy the carnage :D :flame:

jeepcomj said:
i'm willing to bet it's because he's a idiot who's running 38.5 iroks on a dana 35.

gawd tell me he didn't give up on the jeep based on the fact that it had a dana 35,

He does it for the same reason as you, the shafts have a life time warrenty, he carries one at all times. with a detroit and disk's he's able to linmp off any trail he wants and it only takes 15-20 minutes to swap in a new shaft(little practice)

he went with the CUCV cause it was cheap and more geared towards the trails we have here. He slapped on a lift and some gears and has a blast. He also has a 350'd toyota and my old sammi with a 302/zf5/1356 sitting on EB D44/9"

he has fun no matter what!

I got a 90 xj stock gears right now, found a deal I couldent pass up, d35 out of a 88 xj so no c clips, Super 35 axles 4.56 gears and a real detroit locker ready to bolt in and run for 300 bucks! I didnt really want a 35 but for the cash I will use it till I can upgrade to a d44. My friend has a metal shop, I will weld the tubes, and I am also going to play around with some metal and reinforce the whole housing so it wont flex. I will be running 33s, think a d35 will then hold up to 4.56s and a detroit locker?

justin_502 said:
I got a 90 xj stock gears right now, found a deal I couldent pass up, d35 out of a 88 xj so no c clips, Super 35 axles 4.56 gears and a real detroit locker ready to bolt in and run for 300 bucks! I didnt really want a 35 but for the cash I will use it till I can upgrade to a d44. My friend has a metal shop, I will weld the tubes, and I am also going to play around with some metal and reinforce the whole housing so it wont flex. I will be running 33s, think a d35 will then hold up to 4.56s and a detroit locker?

The c clips are not a weak point. If you build an axle housing brace that eliminates the axle flex, it sould hold up well with 33's as long as you use some common sense when wheeling.

Picture013.jpg

carrier2.jpg

carrier3.jpg

upgrading a D35 to chromos is retarded...buy a 44..

the fact is the Dana 35 is adequate for 95% of all Jeeps on the road. you can't fault Jeep for using a less expensive axle as standard equipment if only 5% of owners may exceed it's operating range.

if you do any amount of moderate offroading, do yourself a favor and ditch the D35 and at the very least swap in an 8.25 29 spline, they are readily available and much stronger. still have doubts? all you have to do is look at the housing and axle tubes on a D35 and compare then to even an 8.25 29'er the difference will be obvious.

copbait said:
the fact is the Dana 35 is adequate for 95% of all Jeeps on the road. you can't fault Jeep for using a less expensive axle as standard equipment if only 5% of owners may exceed it's operating range.

if you do any amount of moderate offroading, do yourself a favor and ditch the D35 and at the very least swap in an 8.25 29 spline, they are readily available and much stronger. still have doubts? all you have to do is look at the housing and axle tubes on a D35 and compare then to even an 8.25 29'er the difference will be obvious.

i broke mine comming to a stop light..i hit the brake and POP the rear end locked up..and i had 33's...dana 35 sucks for anything larger than a 30" tire if you go off road..(im sure mine was broke before it finally exploded)

just no one should spend any money on the little thing...:twak:

yea 8.25 is an upgrade and they are cheap too

I wheeled for about 6 months on my 35 4 of those with my 33s but I was way way carfeful. I heard too many horror stories that I jumped on the d44 train. When you are wheeling a higher mileage rig like most of us you really dont need one more thing to worry about. Btw I love when you see this sweet looking wrangler thats all mall crawlerd up and he is running a 35 out back... I wish I could see someone break one in a parking lot or something just so I could laugh and say something like" I bet that huge stinger and sweet whinch help you a lot now" Oh Im mean...

in2fords said:
He does it for the same reason as you, the shafts have a life time warrenty, he carries one at all times. with a detroit and disk's he's able to linmp off any trail he wants and it only takes 15-20 minutes to swap in a new shaft(little practice)

he went with the CUCV cause it was cheap and more geared towards the trails we have here. He slapped on a lift and some gears and has a blast. He also has a 350'd toyota and my old sammi with a 302/zf5/1356 sitting on EB D44/9"

he has fun no matter what!
I find it hard to believe that D35 chromo shafts have a lifetime warranty for use with 38.5" tires. I call BS :passgas: I have a CJ7 with AMC20 and 1 piece axles and they have a 1 year warranty, but only for up to 33" tires. Heck Dynatrac Pro Rock 60s with 41 spline shafts only have a 1 year warranty. No way possible a company will give someone a lifetime warranty to run 38.5s on a D35. If they do thats just bad business.

And anything you do to a D35 is just a waste of time and money. Even if it's a smoking deal, theres a reason, cause the person selling it saw the light and finally dumped it. And a 27 spline 8.25 isn't much better, and if you got one and think it is, your just lieing to yourself. And welding a truss brace to a D35 isn't a great idea also. Welding to the tubes warps their thin metal some no matter how careful you are.

I've been running this for almost a year now with 31's. When it breaks I'll replace with a 44 or 8.25.
100_0345.jpg

Last edited:
haha is that a lunchbox locker welded?

How many pounds of weld is in that baby?

~Alex

alex22 said:
How many pounds of weld is in that baby?

~Alex

is there such a thing in a d35?

in2fords said:
my buddy has a 2.5 yj on 38.5 Iroks, breaks chromo's almost every month!! Im willing to bet its cause his housing is flexing.

If he's running a Dana 35, he's not too bright is he? Probably spent more on shafts than a 44 or a 60, or a 9" would've cost him.

markw said:
If he's running a Dana 35, he's not too bright is he? Probably spent more on shafts than a 44 or a 60, or a 9" would've cost him.
On edit. I see you were not talking about me..... I hope.

It's a trail only rig. Mostly for hunting. etc. I've never broken it, but I'm bright enough to know how to use the skinny pedal. As stated when it breaks, I'll replace with something else. I trailer it to and from the hunting club lease. BTW for a trail only rig a welded rear is awesome.

Last edited:
Cox89XJ said:
It's a trail only rig. Mostly for hunting. etc. I've never broken it, but I'm bright enough to know how to use the skinny pedal. As stated when it breaks, I'll replace with something else. I trailer it to and from the hunting club lease. BTW for a trail only rig a welded rear is awesome.

I wasn't talking about yours, some YJ. That is a ton of wire in there, how many spools did you use? I broke a 44 shaft without too much skinny pedal, and I'm on 33's.

Back