• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wheeling in Michigan

MadPikAvenger

NAXJA Forum User
I've searched and found other threads but none that really answer my question. I've lived in Michigan my whole life and believe me, I know places to wheel are somewhat limited. I love Silver Lake Sand Dunes and wasn't that impressed with Mounds. My question is do any of you guys know of any fun "non official" trails. I don't mean non official as in illegal, I'm just wondering if there's anything fun out there that might not be an official ORV park. If its not legal I'm not driving there. I know some seasonal roads can get interesting and that there's a few other dirt roads that turn pretty gnarly in the spring. Sorry for the babbling on. To recap I'm just looking for fun places to drive my Jeep, it doesn't have to be anything crazy, just something fun. Thanks!

rosecity /mio/ west branch have a lot of nice trails
harrison area has some nice trails
we are running the trails on march 7th starting at the moose lodge in harrison
meeting at 9am leaving at 10am

MadPikAvenger---- Sorry to hich jack your thread. Gotta question about Silver Lake Dunes. Planning on bringing the family out there this year just to pitch a tent, relax and do some light cruisin in the sand. Do I need to worry about ATVs flyin around? My stock Dodge will make the trip (haul the parents and kids). Will it make it just through the sand? thanks

Someone did call the DNR and they said LEGAL, soooooo. If i get busted and in trouble i will go ahead and say you were right but i go out there all the time and have never had any problems;)

MadPikAvenger---- Sorry to hich jack your thread. Gotta question about Silver Lake Dunes. Planning on bringing the family out there this year just to pitch a tent, relax and do some light cruisin in the sand. Do I need to worry about ATVs flyin around? My stock Dodge will make the trip (haul the parents and kids). Will it make it just through the sand? thanks

check this out, best place for info on SL i am on there under kmanxj :patriot:

http://www.silverlakeforum.com/index.php

Someone did call the DNR and they said LEGAL, soooooo. If i get busted and in trouble i will go ahead and say you were right but i go out there all the time and have never had any problems;)

That was brought up also. My point is that the DNR isn't who you need to ask, as the land is owned by the power company. Open gates don't constitute permission. If you get busted and get in trouble, you will have XXXXed everyone with you, as well as all other Michigan wheelers since you'll be giving Legislators in Michigan another weapon to use against us.

Not researching it ahead of time is not the right way to go about this - especially if you're going to post it on boards that are active on Land Use issues.

Find out what the real deal is.

You definitely will need to keep an eye for the ATV's and dirt bikes but for the most part they seem to be pretty well behaved. Only times I've come close to them is cause they are small and fast and thus hard to see out of the side/rear views. Your stock dodge should do fine out on the dunes. Just make sure to air down. My buddy has a stock Dodge and he goes all over the place out on the dunes.

If you're in the U.P. you've got a lot of fun to look forward to. There are roads up there as tough as many trails. I highly suggest reading Michigan's ORV handbook (http://www.offroad-ed.com/mi/handbook/) to help avoid getting in any trouble. In the lower, people get in trouble with the DNR quite easily and frequently for being where they shouldn't. Also, though, the DNR has a reputation for handing out tickets that shouldn't have been issued (some of their officers don't seem to know their own laws), which is why I keep a copy of the ORV handbook in my glove compartment.

Back