• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's your next 'Jeep' or what do you have now.

collkid

NAXJA Forum User
With the slow and painful death of the CHEAP xj's, whats your next choice?

One of the reasons I was so attracted to the XJ was the cost, reliability, adventuring ability... etc.

So what are you going to jump into next?

I assume a lot of us XJers have jumped on the JK train, but in my current stage of life, there is just go way I can afford one of those bad boys. What else might be a good Colorado Jeep?

Being able to be a DD, decent MPG, stock off-road capabilities, Cheap, easy to work on.

Thoughts?

That's the beauty of the XJ...... Not much compares.

In order to compare it to other makes, you'd end up being in the same late 80's, to 2004 year range. Mostly because of the drivetrain and engine changes. Ya can't find much - if anything into 2000 that has a straight front axle - all others went IFS - and finding an engine in the 4 liter range.

Realistically..... you can still get into a low mile late model XJ for $8K or less, or get an e-bay "unicorn" for $8K to $14K. Which is still WAY less than you'd spend on something newer that won't be all that comparable.

Granted, if you don't have cash or have an unsecured loan to pay that for one of those kinds of XJ's you won't get an auto loan from a bank as it's too old. And, if you finance at a used car dealership through them, you're gonna pay stupid interest rates.

So with all that said, it seems to me that you'd have to compromise in order to find something that fits the needs you've described. If it's trail worthy, it's gonna be much more expensive than a clean, low mile late model XJ. Anything else is just a street vehicle with fragile suspension and smaller engine.

ZJ or WJ

Not much else out there I like, withing a reasonable price range.

Hell, I've thought about Toyota's or Nissan's even.

WJ for sure. You can usually find a 2004 WJ Overland with 60k miles for less than a 1999 XJ Limited with 60k (assuming you could even find one). Sure they take a little more effort to get some meats on there (more lift or more trimming) vs. an XJ. But they still have SFA/SRA, come with the 4.0 if you want it, and are relatively easy to find in good clean condition. Not to mention more comfortable to drive around and more space while being relatively the same size. Oh, and JK front axles are a bolt in upgrade.

Loved my WJ, and if I had continued wheeling, I'd still have it. DJ has it down, but then again he's describing my rig. A 4.0, however, is not worth the effort. Gutless pigs.

I have 3 WJ's, 1 XJ and a 4 door JK, I would say the V-8 WJ is my favorite. You can still score a good deal on a XJ, paid $2000 for my 98 four door with 113,000 all stock and clean as they come.

Weren't all WJ's the dreaded 4.7 if they're V8? You see so many of them on the cheap with bad engines (blown head gaskets or worse), but most mechanics say they dread working on the OHC engine where heads/head gaskets are concerned.

:dunno:

2nd. car i owned was a Mazda 626 2 door, and from what i remember it was a decent car. Don't actually own a Miata, they do look fun though. I'm sure we'll meet sometime.:D

Last edited:
Weren't all WJ's the dreaded 4.7 if they're V8? You see so many of them on the cheap with bad engines (blown head gaskets or worse), but most mechanics say they dread working on the OHC engine where heads/head gaskets are concerned.

:dunno:

WJ's came with 4.0's and 4.7's, 4.7's do not like to be over heated and must have regular oil changes....... My 03 WJ has 255,000 miles on its 4.7 HO.

4.7L can be problematic but I'd surely take it and the 545RFE over the 3.8L V6 and 42RLE in my JK.

Oh yeah, I have a JKUR now. I would say a WJ would be the better way to go depending on how big you want to get with your rig. The Grand Cherokee's will have a harder time fitting big wheels and their suspensions and axle setups can make swaps a bit more difficult than the XJ's. Mild to Moderate rig, WJ hands down. Goung a bit more offroad bias or hardcore and the JKU, but you have to pay to play. If I didn't need 4 doors then I would get a TJ over a JK.

Something about the Miata drivers I don't understand...

tm2rku4391mj2ji8n5oxx6xbsx7pzthn.jpg

oam7yomi2i0u3bsp54dt28fy3a3712as.jpg

MY XJ is not DEAD! You can't kill it!
339,000 miles and still goin' strong.
It's not pretty to look at, but it's OEM.
Still has original paint and no rust.
2nd engine(replaced at 300,000).
If you can get past the funny looks,
from other drivers when I pass them,
You can laugh all the way to the bank.

bd18packer
'90 XJ
'98 ZJ
'05 WK

Jeep...There's only one:

Back