• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Whats wrong with my Renix.

I picked up an auto TPS, 48.99 @ oriellys. The problem is still there it just isn't as pronounced.

How much did it change? Could the harness connection to the TPS be loose, or the the throttle linkage to the TPS be loose at 2000 rpm? (probably grasping at straws there).

I just re-read this entire post, to refresh the story. No where do I see any mention of testing the O2 sensor. Try this. Disconnect the O2 sensor connector. Then test drive it. If the 2000 rpm problem goes away, then your problem is in the O2 sensor system, O2 sensor, wiring, O2 sensor heater relay, or exhaust piping issue (leak?).

What all did you do just before the problem originally started?

No one has mentioned the C-101 bulk head connector. It is notorious for connections looses after 22 years. It is near the Master brake cylinder on the firewall.

Interesting that replacing the TPS helped. Also interesting that replacing part of the harness helped, but what parts of the harness were replaced?

Could be the fuel pump, I have heard Airtex fuel pumps are no good from many people, but some of your comments make me doubt that is the issue. Try the disconnected O2 sensor and do the drive test first. Try cleaning, and servicing the pins (make sure they are tight) on the C-101 connector.

Have you checked fuel pressure while running the RPMs up and down quickly? have you checked the FP regulator for a diaphragm vacuum leak of fuel?

I did not change anything for the problem to come up, it just sort of happende and that is when i started replacing sensors. I will try the O2 sensor thing you were talking about. I checked the fuel pressure and it was very stable when I tested at the RPM range the problem occurs at. As for the wiring I replaced everything from the ecu to the injector harnees, the wiring for the sensere onder the manifold, and all the wires up to where they connect at the battery.

That must have been fun.

That must have been fun.

It wasn't too bad.

I did read somewhere somebody had a similar problem on a 97+ and it was the manifold/header gasket. The part itself is cheap, but the labor involved seems intensive.

Another guy just had a problem where this type of weird problem just cropped up out of nowhere. Everything tested within spec and finally a new ECU completely cured his problem.

I read all throught this thread, and what jumps out at me, is every time the OPO messes with the wiring, it gets better.
I'm going to have to side with Ecomike's usual response on Renix issues and go with a ground issue somewhere.
I would clean every possible ground connection (including all terminal connections)

Nick

I had a small glimmer of hope this morning. I had ordered a bored TB from Strokedjeep.com, Installed it this morning and took it for a drive. It went so smooth not a single po, crack, or stumble. Then i wen to the store and when i drove home it came back but it is much more mild now. I was having trouble with the TPS bolts on the "new" tb I emailed Jeff he told me how to fix it so I am going to try that out ASAP and I will update the thread later.

I was having some issues like you described, i thought it was a sensor but i tried cleaning all the sensor connectors and then putting dielectric grease on all the connections. The engine runs so much better.

Just thought i would throw it out there, since i know Renix is sensitive to electrical issues.

I cleaned all the connectors and it is still doing it. I'm going to try and index the distributor, I have read of a lot of stumbling/backfire issues fixed this way. One question though is when i pulled the cap there is some play in the rotor, I can turn it about a 1/16-1/8 of a turn is that normal?

pull the distributor and look at the gear. if it worn at all, that is your problem. chevys wear the distributor gear and get the same symptoms. normal play for the dsitributor is generally about 1/16". try a new distrubutor and see if that does it.

zedpapa

Effing excellent news guys!!!! I indexed the distributor and now it runs effing amazing!!!!! Haven't taken it on the interstate yet, but i drove it arounf the block and not a single pop or sputter, So far so good. The distributor gear was fairly worn, but it is running so great right now i might wait a little to replace it. So out of the ordeal I got a bunch of new sensors, I also did order that bosche pump, which i might add smoothed out the throttle response a ton compared to the Airtex, it also doesn't sound like there is a friggin shop vac in my tank. So i hope this is the last only time i encounter this problem. This should have been a recall not just a TSB.

Did you actually pull the distributor before? I don't remember you mentioning that. I hope that solves everything for your 2 month ordeal!

No I didn't pull it before because i was afraid of ruining it further. It only took me two months because I was lazy and broke spending money on other parts rather than get it fixed right away. All in all i am happy i have a much better engine harness now (I should take pics of the old one so you guys can see what I had to work with).

I had similar issue with my renix XJ and fault turned out to be in ECU. Some cold solderings in the PCB. I resoldered half of the ECU and fault went away. :)

-Kimmo-

Back