• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What's in your box.........toolbox that is

MpSlayer said:
Any one think d35 spare axles is smart to bring? going to the con on the 4th last time i made it through fine but paranoid the whole way

What size tires? I carry a D44 short spare, and a set of fronts. Yeah, wheeling with a D35, you should have a spare, and don't forget gear oil and a way to capture the oil that's coming out, plust RTV to seal it back up again.

Tools are great to have, but I've always been a little concerned about getting my stuff stolen out of it in a parking lot somewhere.

To reduce the chance of people stealing my stuff I have put two small u-bolts to the floor in both sides of the rear floor. I then ran a 6' cable through the handles of all the toolbags and boxes and attached the cable to each of the u-bolts with a lock on either side. That way I can unlock it using one key from one side or another. Next I run a 6' strap through the handles and attach it to each of the u-bolts. This holds down all my gear so it doesn't move around on the trail.

It isn't for everybody. I repeat, this isn't for everybody, but I feel the extra time it takes to pull my stuff out is worth it compared to the thought of someone stealing all my tools. Plus, I don't worry about a toolbox taking me out if I ever roll or get in a wreck.

I carry a Jansport backpack full of sockets/wrenches screwdrivers and then a cheapo "Team mechanics" toolkit that has a mallet and all that stuff.
I was wishin i had brought my extra D35 shafts when my rear end started screamin the other afternoon. i was sure it was gonna snap a shaft.

xjtrailrider said:
Small floor jack/jack handles
Oil Filter Wrench
Nut Drivers
Tubing cutter and flare tool
Feeler gauge
Come-A-Long
Spare D-30 left and right knuckl
Vaccum Line Repair Kit
Hose Repair Kit
Spare Lug Nuts
Spare Diff. Plug
D30 Spider Gears or spare pins and springs for LB locker

I have never seen a need for any of the above on the trail in my albiet limited wheeling expierence...

Well I put all of my small tool boxes I have about 6 some just a box with one removable shelf in it, others are nice three draw deals. Almost all of them had three or four of the same wrench sizes as well as sockets. I then set aside one of each ratcheting wrenches in metric as well as 3/8 drive socket set with the normal metric and standard sockets. Also have a set of double sided 1/2 drive sockets of some larger sizes including 36mm for axles with a breaker bar. Assortment of odd screwdrivers two crescent wrenches large and small large adjustable pliers, cutters, a BFH, a hacksaw, and a tire repair kit except for the breaker bar and the hack saw was able to get it all into a small tool box that won’t give me a hernia when I lift it. I also have a Rubbermaid container full of all manner of fluids and u-joints, hoses, alternator, clamps along with spare axle and drive shafts. But just reducing the toolbox probably saved 50 lbs plus I’ve got a lot more room because I can carry this toolbox on the backseat floor.

Back