• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Stranded with a broken pinion shaft bolt :(

TuXJ98

NAXJA Forum User
Hi everyone! First post now that I’m back in the XJ game. Had an 89 a decade ago and loved all the help I received on NAXJA back then. Now here I am with a new (to me) ‘98. Had the Jeep less than a month and it’s already kicking my butt. Just like old times. Haha.

Anyway here’s the situation. Attempted to install a Powertrax No-Slip Locker in the 8.25 rear diff. The pinion shaft bolt broke during removal (or was already broken?). I tried drilling it and extracting, the extractor bit snapped off on the way out. Tried drilling some more with new cobalt bits. No dice. I had some luck spinning it out a ways with a pick but would stop spinning halfway up the threads. After much frustrated drilling, I’m pretty sure it’s backed into the hole and out of the threads where I can’t extract it now. Can’t get it to wiggle at all with the pick any more. And I think the remnants of the extractor bit are preventing drilling it out any more.

Now I’m on to trying to drill into the shaft the small amount to expose the pin/bolt. I’ve tried several different cobalt bits, even masonry bits in desperation. I’m only putting small dimples into what I assume is hardened steel.

Any ideas how to get through that shaft? Thinking about buying a dremel or die Grinder, but not sure what bits would even work on those.

I’ve been slaving away on this thing for a week. I’m tired and my body is sore from drilling on the floor. I would much prefer pulling the carrier and doing this on a bench, but C-clips. :banghead:

Photos:
Original break (what I would give to get back to this point!!)

Failed extraction attempt

Current view

Dimples after tons of drilling

1998 XJ
4.0 Auto
D30/8.25

Thanks all!

Back