• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

WHAT WELDER TO GET????

You should check out the Eastwood 180A 220V. It has similar specs with the Miller and uses the same consumables. Includes a spool gun for aluminum. All for about $500...

I've read nothing but good reviews about it and Eastwood has always been very good about standing behind their products.

I Love my Hobart 140 great if you only have acess to a 110v outlet but if you have acess to a 220v go with a 220v machine. I've used a handful of 220 machines the lincoln 180, miller 252 and miller 180. For basic fab Id imagine the 180 to be plenty powerful but the 252 with digital readouts was ballin... Stick to the main named brands and you shouldnt have an issue

Best option for 110v

I am trying to buy a welder now. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but that isn't a really big deal since I can probably find one used. My thing is that since I live in an apartment, I have a storage unit where I do most of the work on my jeep / jeep parts. So I would only be able to get a 110v.

I hope to be able to weld rock sliders, a roof basket, maybe plug weld some frame stiffeners myself.

Would I be able to just use a flux core welder and be good? Or should I find a 110v used that comes with a bottle?

There is a Millermatic 140 on craigslist here for 550 "barely used" That seems like a pretty good welder, since it is 30-140 amps, but right now it's set up for flux core only.

I guess I just need to know if 1) I will be able to do some good welding on 110v and 2) If I should bother with flux core or just hold out for a good deal on a GMAW 110v.

Then again, there is the option of getting one that is dual voltage. I just don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.

Most good welders are already set-up for gas.

If its a MM140 it should have the regulators with it. Just make sure the relay is there. Then all you need is to reduce the polarity and put new wire through.

Re: Best option for 110v

There is a Millermatic 140 on craigslist here for 550 "barely used" That seems like a pretty good welder, since it is 30-140 amps, but right now it's set up for flux core only.

I guess I just need to know if 1) I will be able to do some good welding on 110v and 2) If I should bother with flux core or just hold out for a good deal on a GMAW 110v.

You get better penetration with Flux Core. Not as nice as GNAW, but still effective.

A Miller 180 or Lincoln 180 is fine for your work. I know what is like welding with only 110v. A 110v "Buzz Box" arc welder will work fine on the thicker stuff. Trickier than GNAW, but again effective.

If you have access to 220 (stove or dryer plug), then go with a Lincoln 216 or Miller 212. For more serious stuff? Go with a Miller 251 or 252.

Re: Best option for 110v

I am trying to buy a welder now. I don't have a lot of money to spend, but that isn't a really big deal since I can probably find one used. My thing is that since I live in an apartment, I have a storage unit where I do most of the work on my jeep / jeep parts. So I would only be able to get a 110v.

I hope to be able to weld rock sliders, a roof basket, maybe plug weld some frame stiffeners myself.

Would I be able to just use a flux core welder and be good? Or should I find a 110v used that comes with a bottle?

Then again, there is the option of getting one that is dual voltage. I just don't know. Any advice would be appreciated.

Factory Refurbished Hobart Handler 140 from Tool King. Great 110 welder. Comes with flux core set up, but also comes with the regulators to run gas. I run the flux core in my rented garage and have built my cage, bumpers, sliders, etc.

They don't always have them in stock, but they do seem to have them on a pretty regular basis. Hobart is great for customer service too. Price is around $450. (they have a new 140 for $550).

Back