• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what tool chest would you recommend?

I have a craftsman ball bearing box that I got when I first started turning wrenches. After 10 years of abuse it now sits in my garage, as I've changed careers. It's held up great, I even clipped it with a refuge collecting truck. The very bottom draw got damaged but still operates fine. If were to buy another box I'd heavily consider the same box again.

i have a kobalt box and love it. my only complaint is that the drawers dont fully extend on the 'lower' end models. they are strong as hell, look and function great, and are cheap for what you get. i knocked my buddies over 'top' section and it fell almost 4 feet straight down to the pavement loaded with tools.. didnt scratch, bend, or tweak.

I've got a Harbor Freight 6 drawer at work, put it together as a Christmas present from the boss last year. 8 1/2 months later using it 40 hours a week, I've got no complaints.

Snap On, Matco and Mac may make the "best" boxes, but personally I doubt that the "best" is at all "necessary" even at the professional level. For some tools and items, the Big 3 brands are necessary or desirable. For a whole lot of others, they are selling you a whole lot of brand name appeal. Just my opinion based on experience to date.

Agreed 100%. I don't have any professional experience, but from what I've seen it seems like alot buy it for the brand.

Lista makes awesome stuff.

My personal box at work is a snap-on and I love it and have never regretted paying for it, but I make my living out of it. We have a Montezuma box that we got for a general shop tool storage and it is very well made and has roller brg draws and seems to have the same grade of metal as my snap on. The Montezuma boxs were origanly built just 30 miles from us but are now built overseas but are still based in Montezuma KS.http://www.montezumamfg.com/

Here is my almost brand new 5S Matco box I'll sell you for $5K... paid close to twice that a few months ago.
img091t.jpg

I would go with Matco over Snap-on. Same quality and usually cheaper.

I use mac...their tech series is nice. I got the top box for mine. Big enough to kinda fit everything I need but small enough most shops will let you use it.

Back