• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What to do to my xj?

jpfreak said:
Recalibrating the speedometer is done through a gear which connects to the transfer case (or transmission, I don't remember). Gears are available for every common tire size/gearing combination. It is not limited to the kit itself.

Don't quote me on anything, but I thought around 95 the xj switched from a mechanical cable and gear in the transfer case to an electronic sensor. I'm not sure but check out the description of the teraflex ESS SYE.

http://www.4wd.com/mudmag/spotlight.asp

Does that mean that as it is the speedo can be recalibrated?

gcurtis-I didn't call RE show-n-go...I use RE and it is real good qaulity equipment. However, there is kits out on the market that are more show than go. I'm not going to point a finger at any company. Just like I'm not going to bash a guy who wants a 3" lift with 31" MTR or SSR just to look like an offroader but never flexes over anything bigger than a speed bump. You do see this trend alot, especially with full size trucks that have 10" lift and 40" tires but it is polished like a diamond. Buy what you can afford and works well for what you want it to. I don't think everyone needs a Currie Anti-Rock going to the mall ya know? Just get extended links for $40. That's all I was saying.

Dallas said:
Don't quote me on anything, but I thought around 95 the xj switched from a mechanical cable and gear in the transfer case to an electronic sensor. I'm not sure but check out the description of the teraflex ESS SYE.

http://www.4wd.com/mudmag/spotlight.asp

Does that mean that as it is the speedo can be recalibrated?
Ummm, does your XJ have an NV231 or an NP231?

I'm pretty sure they are exactly the same thing. The old company that made them was New Process (NP), but sometime recently new venture gear started making them, a from then on they are actually called nv231. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah I think you are right the rubicon tc is the nv241, but the xj tc is either a np231 or an nv231 with the only difference being the name. at least I think.

Dallas said:
I'm kinda new around here, and have been planning a lift for my xj. Here's what I'm thinking.

RE 3.5" superflex full spring kit
RE1600 trackbar
OME shocks
teraflex ESS SYE and Tom Woods CV Driveshaft

What do you guys think? Actually the only thing really keeping me from going aheah and doing it is i'm not sure I'd be happy with the 3.5" kit. I'm thinking maybe I should go ahead with a 4.5" kit, so any opinions on this would be appreciated.

Thanks

Thats sounds about rite (3.5”). Size your lift to what size tires you will run. Keep in mind that anything over 31's is not going to be bearable with stock gears for a dd, and even with 31's you'll notice significant power and fuel mileage losses, especially all loaded up for a long trip. Depending on your overall budget and what you plan to use your XJ for it may be wiser to go with a less expensive lift and put the money saved towards recovery points, armor, gears, limited slip(s)/locker(s) , etc, etc... Don't rule out Rustys for a ~3” lift, and keep in mind that you don't NEED aftermarket LCAs or an adjustable trackbar (just redrill the axle mount)@3”

Thanks everyone for your help. I appreciate it. I'll keep you up to date with my progress. I think I have found the answer to the questions about the extreme short shaft kit by teraflex. It appear that in order to shorten the shaft as they do they have replaced that gear with a tone ring and electronic sensor. Also as a note with the product they say this might require an upgrade to an electronic speedo. I assume this is for the older xj with a mechanical cable.

Back