• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What temps do you guys usually see on the trail?

I like the factory aux trans cooler myself. It bolts right up and you can retain factory cooler lines that way.

I'll be adding a power steering cooler once I swap in my rebuilt box and a new pump.

I think I may have a pinhole leak somewhere in the system that lets air in but no coolant out.

The levels rise and fall in the overflow normally but sometimes the top hose doesnt have any coolant in it (at least it feels that way). I know coolant is in there at some point because its burn yo arse hot and things seem to be circulating because the bottom hose is really really warm but not burn you arse hot.

I think I need some help with this one, I dont have time or money to be chasing this down lol.

I have my little brother coming in to town next weekend so anyone near Foco willing to give me a hand this weekend? Maybe Sunday or sometime during the week? I realize you guys are all busy and any help would really help me out. I shot Tom a PM so hopefully he gets it and has some time.

A manual efan switch really helped on my stroker. If it gets too hot, I just turn on the heater for a bit. It does a good job of augmenting the radiator cooling.

Just a note: It is recommended to change your radiator cap every two years. They start to leak and you end up overheating and boiling over.

Yessir, just did that less than a month ago when I put the new rad in.

Burp the baby. Burp it again. It's not easy getting all of the air out of the system.

If I remember correctly these thermoststs have a small vent hole in retaining plate on the thermostat. It is supposed to be positionied at the top when in place in the housing to allow air to work out of the system.

My efan wont kick on until at or near 220. Which seems really high to me. I am definitely wire a switch in so I can pop it on during uphills.
Have you verified the gauge is accurate? Have you verified the temp sender is still within specifications?

Gone, yup hole is at 12 on a dealer t-stat.

Hypoid, the sensor is less than 3 months old. Im taking the temp off the Ultra gauge I have so its the temp the ECM sees. Im going to see if Harbor Freight has a infrared therm to verify.

My efan wont kick on until at or near 220. Which seems really high to me. I am definitely wire a switch in so I can pop it on during uphills.

When I hit the lottery I am going to buy Serious Offoads fan system with the programmable controller but until then, aint gonna happen lol.

BTW, I dont trust myself to cut holes in my hood lol.

If I did it- successfully, ANYONE can do it. :dunce:

qGx7Sl.jpg

Is it true that faulty catalytic converters can generate a lot of heat? Could that be a source of increased temperatures?

Yes you can see increased engine temps with faulty cats, but only really if you have a 2000+ with the California emissions package (dual cats in the headers). All catalytic converters generate a lot of heat. :)

Update: What temps do you guys usually see on the trail?

Okay, so after thinking about it I ran out and checked the ac/ condensor to see if it was crudded up. OMG, can you say cottonwood and grasshopper death zone?

Power washed that sucker out. I also noticed my stupid arse didnt have the shroud fully seated on on of the mounts so I put that back on properly. Now its 92 out and pulling a long hard hill I only got up to 210.

I put a piece of paper over the grill and its stuck pretty good from the fan pulling air through.

I am hoping this solves my cooling issue. Ill update as we go.

But after looking at the ac condensor I am pretty sure the fan was having a hard time pulling air through it before, add my stupidity and there you go lol.

Its amazing what simple preventative maintenance will do for you.

Or that,
I hose mine out after every trip (the next day, so its stone cold) wether it need is or not, the OP doesn't seem like that type...

Or that,
I hose mine out after every trip (the next day, so its stone cold) wether it need is or not, the OP doesn't seem like that type...

I just didnt realize how many bugs and cottonwood seeds would stack up in there.

But now I know, and knowing is half the battle.

Im going to need to replace that condensor soon I any suggestions on something that might flow better?

Back