• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What temps do you guys usually see on the trail?

stockli

NAXJA Forum User
I was trying to run Moody Hill today (which is a little beyond my capability right now lol) and going up the first steep parts in 4 low my temp got to right about 220*. I was starting to get concerned because it was only about 80 today.

Later on in the day I was running about 210 down flowers before I kicked the defrost on to cycle the e fan (I need a switch for that bugger because it lowered my temp down around 205 and pretty much kept it there the rest of the day).

I have installed a CSF 3 core, zj fan clutch, new cap, waterpump, dealer t-stat. I also just had my system flushed recently. My cooling system is not leaking and appears to be operating normally. Last summer I also put on a new exhaust manifold (bellows type) because the old one was cracked and as of now I do not notice any leaks or cracks in the new mani.

So what temps do you guys usually see on the trails, if mine seem way out of line I may need some help tracking down any issues, if anyone would be willing to give me a hand.

Nothing really out of the ordinary with your temps. These engines like to run warm. When your 98 gets too hot the temp sensor will peg and you'll get a warning light. That's a good time to throw her in park and rev the engine a bit to get that fan pulling some air. An e-fan override would help keep it lower without the added strain on the engine of the compressor or added heat of the condenser.

Time for hood vents or hinge spacers. Moving slow traps the heat under the hood.

An override switch for the aux. fan is another option.

Put the vents at the FRONT of the hood. Allows the fans to pull air through radiator and right out the vents instead if pulling hit air around the hit motor then out....

I've got hood vents (towards the REAR of the hood), 185º t-stat and a 3 core radiator in my '97. Even when wheeling out in Moab, in June and July,in 115º - 120º heat, my temps never go over 210º- 220º (210º is normal operating temp. for the late models).

FYI, when you hit your defrost your also running your A/C compressor. If you want to cool it down you're better off just running regular heat.

Mine barely creeps past 210 w/o hood vents. 210 is normal operating temp and where all of my Jeeps have hung out.

I'll be adding hood vents for extra piece of mind and possibly an e-fan override switch as well, but again only for extra piece of mind.

How recently have you done a coolant flush? What temp t-stat are you running? I'd look at performing proper maintenance before just throwing all the normal mods at it.

Thanks guys for the responses. Ill be looking for vents and a few other things like a gas tank skid which I definitely see I need and a better tie rod.

FYI, when you hit your defrost your also running your A/C compressor. If you want to cool it down you're better off just running regular heat.

Mine barely creeps past 210 w/o hood vents. 210 is normal operating temp and where all of my Jeeps have hung out.

I'll be adding hood vents for extra piece of mind and possibly an e-fan override switch as well, but again only for extra piece of mind.

How recently have you done a coolant flush? What temp t-stat are you running? I'd look at performing proper maintenance before just throwing all the normal mods at it.

Dutch I was just trying to get the aux fan to kick on, but yeah I know that the a/c comp was cycling too. I had my coolant flushed about 1 month ago and put a deal t-stat in just before I left IL for CO, so probably in Feb or March. Im also running the ZJ fan clutch.

Anyone running a fan just to push hot air OUT of their vents?

What gears/tire size are you running? Mine would always get hot with 33" and 3.07's, regeared and it runs 210-215 no matter what now.

I have an '01 with those damn cats on the exhaust manifold which create a ton of heat...and mine stays at 210* no matter what.

I wired my fan up to a switch which is handy. I have heat soak issues in the summer, so I leave the fan running for a few minutes after I shut it off and it cures the starting issues.

What gears/tire size are you running? Mine would always get hot with 33" and 3.07's, regeared and it runs 210-215 no matter what now.

Im running 31's with 3.55s. I am thinking I need to put in a trans cooler and avoid going through the rad as pulling any kind of hills I can watch my temp rise from 203 to about 206 (on Ultra gauge) and I figured a separate trans cooler would be in order. But you make a good point, I figured Id be ok with 31's on 3.55s.

Mine came stock with the factory trans cooler that is used in conjunction with the radiator. It's a 2000 but doesn't have the extra cats on the exhaust manifold.

32's and 3.55 gears it would start creeping past 210 on Fireman's Hill but my e-fan kicked on in a hurry. With the 4.56's it runs a bit cooler on the trail. Still at 210 but my e-fan doesn't run as much.

I wonder if there is a way to reprogram the e-fan for a temp range to kick on at. On mine it kicks on almost as soon as the needle goes past the 210 mark. I would think w/ OBDII you could.

My efan wont kick on until at or near 220. Which seems really high to me. I am definitely wire a switch in so I can pop it on during uphills.

When I hit the lottery I am going to buy Serious Offoads fan system with the programmable controller but until then, aint gonna happen lol.

BTW, I dont trust myself to cut holes in my hood lol.

By two sets of vents and I will cut mine and show you how it looks and then I will cut your holes for you.

OP, your gear/tire combo doesn't sound too bad.

as for running an additional trans cooler, most folks opt to keep the tank in the radiator to help warm the trans up quickly. For an add on cooler, ZJ trans coolers fit behind the front crossmember perfectly. I am running one as a PS cooler.

I run a separate tranny cooler that mounts behind the grill. Seems to work well.

A manual efan switch really helped on my stroker. If it gets too hot, I just turn on the heater for a bit. It does a good job of augmenting the radiator cooling.

Just a note: It is recommended to change your radiator cap every two years. They start to leak and you end up overheating and boiling over.

Back