• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What mpg is everyone getting w/an auto xj?

i have a 2001 cherokee new to me .. 4x4 with 94,000 miles on it .. just did a whole tune up on her when i brought her home this week. ALL fluids except diff's and xfer case done .. plugs etc .. added STP fuel injector cleaner on a full tank of gas. Tank was on E when i bought it. I got about 300 miles on the first tank. Thats from about 10 miles after the light turned on, to about 1 mile after the light turned on . I have an app on my iphone called gascuddy. I input the info into the iphone and i got back 16.4 mpg when i filled it up tonite. I'll be interested to see an average. This is only my first tank and i just did a whole tune up on it. I literally just got back from filling it up tonite. I put another 2nd bottle of STP fuel injector cleaner in their tonite.
The only thing which may be throwing the MPH off is that i stumbled upon the fact that i have the UP Country package on mine. BONUS ! . But the tires are 235/75/15. And i understand that the factory tires should be 215/75/15. UNLESS the Up Country package gets bigger tires. Which i seem to doubt. So if the tires are bigger than factory, and im sure the speedometer was never corrected, then i may be getting better gas mileage than i know. But right now, with what i have to work with, im getting 16.4 mpg on the first tank.
The app keeps track of everything. I'll be happy to post my results moving on in the future. I may even get a new o2 sensor. This one has 94k on it and it may be starving me of fuel mileage.

I think I still hold the Record for the lowest mileage with my 87 XJ wagoneer, which was 6 mpg, LOL.

10-15 minute winter warm ups in the driveway, local neighbor hood trips only, all less than 35 mph, stop signs about every 3-4 blocks, bad O2 sensor, and 160 F t-Stat, and no locking TC. That was about 4-5 years ago.

Before the front diff blew up, I was getting 20-24 mpg in my 99 auto. Actual figure varied tank-to-tank according to how much highway, and how hard I pushed.

What I've learned from all these threads:
Stock: if you get 14MPG or above, you are normal.
Lifted: if you get 11MPG or above, you are normal.

If you are above these numbers - count yourself lucky.

I've been driving my new-to-me 97 4.0 auto for about a month. Can't seem to get better than 225 miles per 14.5 gallon fill ups.
Stop buying gas at the grocery store. That is worth an instant 3 MPG.

Yeah, my wife tries to squeeze that last dime out of them, has to fuel up sooner because of it. I think our '90 gets about the same, low to mid teens on King Sooper gas. In the summer, above 9000 feet, the fuel pump howls like a banshee.

If I buy gas at Sinclair or Diamond Shamrock, the problems go away.

BTW, I also avoid Bradley and U-Pumpit.

the 2 gas stations i use are king soopers and sinclair. when i dont have points on the ks card, i use sinclair, but haven't noticed better mileage.. will pay closer attention.

isn't bradley and sinclair the same thing?

When I bought my XJ with 235 street biased tires on it I got 19 city and up to 24 hwy. After over heating a couple times do to failed radiators, it went down to 17 average. Now with 30"s I get 14-15 city and don't break 18 on the hwy. Currently 4.10, new exhaust opened up air box, and hotter ignition coil. New speed gear shows .5% off on 100 mile loop with GOD.

When I bought my XJ with 235 street biased tires on it I got 19 city and up to 24 hwy. After over heating a couple times do to failed radiators, it went down to 17 average. Now with 30"s I get 14-15 city and don't break 18 on the hwy. Currently 4.10, new exhaust opened up air box, and hotter ignition coil. New speed gear shows .5% off on 100 mile loop with GOD.

Year?

I just finished an out-and-back run from Colo to Seattle. 2740 mi total
Averaged 20.8 mpg on the way out and 21.2 on the return.
Some slow going for snow, some headwind on the way out and tailwind on the way back.
2001 XJ running Michelin P235s.

I haven't calculated mine yet. Have only had it a few months and don't drive it other than hunting. I dont have tripmeter so I'm gonna try a post it note to remember starting mileage. But keep in mind location really matters. I'm in hilly area so obviously mine is always lower than someone in flatter areas. But if I want to ramp mine up I usually drop speed 5mph and add air to tires.

Last edited:
I just checked mine last tank and it got 14.2. That's the best it's gotten around town since I've owned it. It's gotten 15.7 on an entire tank of highway travel but that was before I added more lift, bigger tires and gears. I haven't made that trip since.

89 XJ, gets about 20 Hyw, about 16-17 avg in city, about 130,000 miles, good compression. The 87 gets about 17 hyw at best, and avg about 14-15 mpg city, but it has 274,000 miles and low compression, about 115-125 psi. Both have good AW4s and good sensors, including the O2 Renix sensors.

I'm averaging about 14 I'm mine. And thats with over 200k, 33's, and stock gears. On the highway I can get about 18. But that's in third gear. I only use drive on flats and downhill

it used to get real good mileage.

87 4.0 AX-15 31's 3.55s

used to rock out 23MPG on the highway.

it's not seen a highway in like 3 years though....
Towpig FTW!

Back