• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what makes the 99' xj better than the 97-98 xj's

I personally would go with with a 91-95 model. The HO head found on these models flow much easier than the others, especially if it's been ported. The remaining intake/exhaust bolt-on mods can easily be done to increase the power (even the 99+'s new style intake manifold can be swapped.)
Install a MSD or Jacob's ignition kit if you're worried about missing out on the benefits of distributorless ignition, as these types of ignition kits will perform much more efficiently than the distributorless style anyway.
Also, these years tend to have less vibration issues pertaining to the drive line when dealing with lifting the vehicle.

TOZOVR said:
Nope 2000 was the Coil on plug...

My '99 has regular plugs and wires.

As does mine :greensmok

-Scott

Nay said:
You don't really want anything behind the transmission on an XJ, so why spend the $$$ on a t-case that needs lots of $$$, axles that need to be replaced...etc, etc, etc.

You how many newbies you needlessly scared the crap out of with that statement? Other than needing a SYE there is NOTHING wrong with the 231 or 242 for the majority of people. I assume you're recommending replacing it with a $2000 Atlas?

Buy which ever you like and can afford. If you like the new body style just find a good deal and get it. There's nothing really "wrong" with any of them. If you're most likely going to replace teh rear axle anyways, then don't worry about the d35.

I have a 1994 no ABS or Air Bag, is there any difference in the wheel well openings? I know they are different, but is the 96 and older model better or worse than the 97+.

If I had the cash I want to get a 2000+ and mod it up from there

GQ

I'm bringing this thread back as I'm looking for a 97'+ xj & selling my 98' grand cherokee laredo. What models in the 97'+ had leather? I know the limited model up to 93' or so I believe were called a limited, but weren't those fazed out by the "Up Country" or "Country" model? What do the Sport, Classic, etc trims mean? Can all of them be optioned out from the factory to be similiar?
Troy

M. Lake said:
Yes, to cut down the HP/TQ rating for the YJ, TJ, and XJ, Jeep inserted a venturi in the air box to reduce the output of the motor by 10 HP, as far as I understand, the GC did not come with the down rated motor (venturi) due to the weight of the GC. :passgas:

There is harness differences, and ECU differences, but not related directly to power output.

Nope. The YJ 4.0 and TJ 4.0 produced "only" 180hp/220lbft and 181hp/222lbft respectively because they had more restrictive intake and exhaust systems than the 190hp/225lbft XJ. The engines themselves were exactly the same in all models in each respective model year.
The WJ 4.0 produces 195hp/230lbft because it has a less restrictive intake system, better intake manifold, better exhaust downpipe, distributorless ignition, and more efficient water pump. Unfortunately it also has the crack-prone small exhaust port heads that rob it of much of the HP that it would have gained from the other changes.
The XJ followed suit in 2000 and the TJ did the same in 2001. The outputs of these engines rose to 193hp/231lbft and 190hp/235lbft respectively. The difference in outputs between the most recent 4.0's in the TJ, XJ, and WJ are probably related to slight differences in cam timing.
The best 4.0 engine setup would probably be a '99+ WJ, '00+XJ, or '01+ TJ with a ported '91-'95 head (casting no. 7120) swapped onto it. That would not only increase HP/TQ, but it would also get rid of the crack-prone WJ head (casting no. 0331).

Back