• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What makes me stalls in deep water?

Its one of those things that is so obvious people don't bother mentioning it, and some people don't really know how to drive one off road. Figured it was worth a mention.

OK, I'll bite. What is it that's so obvious about stalling a 5 speed in the water? Have you ever stalled a 4.0? They lug down like you wouldn't believe. Do you think the OP would really post up if it was as simple as that?

OK, I'll bite. What is it that's so obvious about stalling a 5 speed in the water? Have you ever stalled a 4.0? They lug down like you wouldn't believe. Do you think the OP would really post up if it was as simple as that?

What's so obvious? How bout shifting to a lower gear.
And I crawl with mine, so yeah I've stalled it... that's usually what happens when you let the RPMs drop too low.
And yeah, you'd be surprised what some people will post up (especially on some of the other forums).

One way to check is hit different parts of the motor bay area with a hose while motor is running and see if any spot stops it. A least it might narrow the search area.

Re: What makes me stall in deep water?

One way to check is hit different parts of the motor bay area with a hose while motor is running and see if any spot stops it. A least it might narrow the search area.

Yup tried this.
It is very puzzling to me, and I'm smarter than the average bear :rolleyes:

I've sealed up the snorkle REAL good now, Doused the engine compartment, O2 sensor and CPS with the garden hose and never lost a beat.

Haven't raised the exhaust pipe yet.
It's automatic, so keeping RPMs up is a given.
Engine stalls, and Jeep coasts to a stop, meaning the tires are still rolling and I'm not bottomed out or spinning tires.

Could the water be deep enough so that the mechanical fan stalls the engine? Here is 3-4 feet watercrossings and I'm running 4 inch lift 33 TSL swampers. The water line in the cab was halfway up the driveshaft hump.
I just hit the starter after stalling and it starts right up.

This past weekend...
The Wrangler here has an electric fan
My XJ has mech and electric from factory.
9132009261.jpg

9132009237.jpg

Back