• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What kind of gas milage are you gettin

What kind of milage do you get?

• Total voters
im getting about 11 mpg with about half and half city/highway with my 93 and 3" lift, 31s, stock gears (3.55)

so a little off topic but what can i do to improve mpg. ive heard o2 sensors can cause bad mpg, that true. anything else that could be causing it to be low?

around 14-15 in town and 18-19 highway

sig is what i got

That is my work commute, it is primarily farmland between cities. 55mph with fairly frequent stops (every couple miles). All highway i have squeezed as much as 21mpg, while heavy city driving usually yields closer to 16. HTH

Monkey.

At least 22 mpg. With 5 gals of gas I have been able to go 120 miles worth of city driving so go figure. Thats with a very light driving style to save gas. If I drive differently it goes down, but on the freeway I get nice mileage with that .79:1 5th gear. Also my gas mileage has gone down ever since they started adding ALCOHOL to the gas. Also trying the 2oz acetone trick but worried about the acetone dissolving stuff and they say acetone+alcolhol makes mileage go down. I do give little squirts of lucas upper cyl lubricant.

Last edited:
partsbill said:
13.1 But as of the last 100 miles, I'm trying the acetone in the tank trick. I'll let ya'll know after a tankful or 2.

Bill

After the first 1/2 a tank, it has gone to 15.2. Not enough to say its the save all but enough to try it a couple more times.

Bill

I get shit. I gotta find me one of them flux capacitors, i have plenty of beer cans and bannana peals.

33x12.5 Kumho M/T, 5.5" lift, BW cut outs, 4.10 gears,4.0l w/ K&N drop in fliter. Roof rack w/ full size spare on it.

all stock i was getting mid 16 to low 17mpg... thats a combo of street and highway...

now with 31's (yokohama geolander at's) just did the math at 14.2 on my last tank...

Now.... this is based on being told that my tank is 20 gallons... its an 89, 4.0l auto.

JOe

Shitty cause I had a leak in the fuel pump seal. We'll see how things improve.

99XJ sport 4X4, 30X9.5BFG ATs, K&N filtercharger, Perf Distributors live wires, cap and rotor, Bosch plat +4, 87 octane, manual tranny, stock exhaust. Yakima roof rack cross rails only, bug deflector.

17-18 City

19-21 Hwy

Probably higher, never calibrated my speedo/odometer for larger tires. MPGs above are from trip computer on ceiling. Subtract about 2-3 MPG with AC on. Add about 1MPG with bug shield off.

I get 15 city and 20 hwy on mine with 5" and 32x11.5's with the 3.55 stock gearing. I think what most people are not doing is accounting for what tire dia changes do to the miles rolled on your speedo(I know some of you are though). A 33" tire is 18% larger than the 27" tire that came on my Cherokee thus my miles on my speedo are going to be 18% off. I get 230 miles per tank(mostly city to work and such) and 230 X 118% = 271 miles/17.5 gallons = 15.5mpg. This is on a 90 4.0 low-output but tuned up and maintained. I also drive like I stole it and cant stop doing that(I tried but my foot takes over).
I also noticed a drastic milage drop when I put the spare on the roof. Remember, you are driving a box with oversized tires. Add more to the roof height and you get more drag. Do I think a newer 4.0 can get 20+mpg? Yes I do. ther are so many things that influence milage it is hard to compare two Jeeps with two different drivers in different climates under different conditions.

Either way I still cant afford $2.70 per gallon($2.40 if u r lucky) that we pay in Washington. thats $300 a month for me to go to work. No new toys for the jeep this year

17-19 in city, 21-23 on freeway. @ 18 ave. 5 spd, BFG MT's 31x10.50's siped twice, 58mm throttle body, rusty's open air intake, homebrew "cold intake". 3.55's. rebuilt '97, running all synths for fluids. 5 1/2" lift. full size spare on roof rack, with homebrew windscreen. (added 4-5 mpg on freeway). I'm just easy on the gas. only run super, and with my 2.5 hi-flow catback, my torque to rpm is real low, hardly ever go above 2200, unless I have to. Sure, I could get 15-16 in city and under 20 on the freeway, but i'm always trying to NOT be in a hurry. I get a lot of meatheads at red lights, but I still don't play the race to the next red light game.

Still I think i could do better, with some mods, like narrow down to 2 1/4 after the muffler to see if that plays better with rpm torque ratio. anyway, i digress. keep it clean and change those fluids.

acrid.

9-11 MPG. But it don't matter much. It runs great I didn't buy it for gas milage. Got it for havin' fun.

Not sure... but it ain't much. :wow:

Brickfoot-JPG.jpg

Back