• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what kind of dog is this??

PhunkXJ

NAXJA Forum User
it's a pic from my camera phone so it's pretty dark. his coat is a beautiful rusty orange color.

1cf637023ef5_jpg.jpg

anyways, this guy made himself comfy on my back deck yesterday, he scared the sh*t outta me when I got home from work. he was shaking like a leaf and as soon as I started talking to him in a soft voice he relaxed.

I walked him down to the vet at the end of my street and had him scanned, but he has no micro-chip in him. there were a couple of unsavory characters at the vet who told me this dog was a fighting dog who looked like he was a weak fighter and probably got dumped for being so. he has an old puncture wound on the back of his neck and a few scars on his body.
it seems like he's been wandering for a while, he's skinny and weak, he wouldn't take any food, water or treats from me either.

when we got home I went to go in the house for a beer and my little westie squirmed out the door and this other dog just got really low to the ground and was very submissive to my dog. it lasted long enough for me to grab my dog by the collar and drag him back in the house. as soon as I raised my voice to my dog the other one cowered and started shaking real bad.

he didn't react to my dog or the 10 dogs that we passed as we walked to the vet. he was very gentle with me and was desperate for affection. I got up to throw something in the trash and he was right on my heels.

after mulling it over for a while I decided to call the animal warden. we live very close to the border on the south side of chicago and the animal warden says he picks up lots of fighting dogs in our area. he was actually looking for this dog all day, he was first spotted 4 miles from my house.

I feel so guilty but I have no idea what this dog's history is. animal welfare will check him out, see if he has a family who is missing him and if not has my info so we can go back for him when he is ready for adoption. I don't know what we will do at that point.

I feel terrible for calling the animal warden I just didn't know what else to do, the dog was so sweet but it seems he was abused and I was afraid that if I did something to set him off, I'm only 100 lbs, it would hurt.

Looks like one of the pitbull variants to me. They aren't all bad.

Might be some lab in him too, kinda cute actually.

Last edited:
What?

These guys don't adopt "pit mixed" to the public anymore?

http://www.animalwelfareleague.com/

Check them out or call them...

Who did ya call...

County Animal Control?

Looks like he needs some work...

Prolly not on the street too long...

There's also a pit/pit mixed rescue club here in the area...

but I have the info at work... I'll have to get back to ya...

Lemme know how it turns out...

Rescues usually turn out to be the best dogs...

I'd try to keep him if I were you...

Looks mostly pit, poor guy, probaly had the snot beat out of him in an attempt to make him viscious. As for bringing him in, hmmm, that takes some thought, my westie gets along with every dog he's ever met, ferret, cat and wants to 'run with the deer and climb trees with the squirrels'. I don't know what kind of a family dog he would turn into, one of my customers has an abused one he got, that dog is a one person dog and is quick to snap around others including me and I've tried to play and make friends with him..

Gil, I called my city's animal control and he took this guy to animal welfare on 103rd/southwest hwy.

if the dog doesn't have a family I am first on the list they will call for adoption. I don't know if I want a dog this big, but if there is a rescue place I can take him that will find him a good home I'm down with that. I'm so torn, he'd probably be a cool trail dog.

RichP said:
Looks mostly pit, poor guy, probaly had the snot beat out of him in an attempt to make him viscious. As for bringing him in, hmmm, that takes some thought, my westie gets along with every dog he's ever met, ferret, cat and wants to 'run with the deer and climb trees with the squirrels'. I don't know what kind of a family dog he would turn into, one of my customers has an abused one he got, that dog is a one person dog and is quick to snap around others including me and I've tried to play and make friends with him..

my westie is like that too, once he chills out from meeting a dog.

this dog got kind viscious, barking and growling when the animal warden approached him, like he was protecting me. but when we were walking I stopped to talk to a few neighbors and the dog didn't go up to anyone he stayed right by my feet but he was fine when they got close to greet him, he just laid there.

most big dogs are just big babies...You should go down and see if they'll let you see him.

1. I bet he remembers you, especially since you talked to him.

1.5 If he perks up when he hears you again, it'll melt your heart.

2. He'll more than likely lick you to death. Obviously if he couldn't be made into a fighter, he's probably just a poor thing looking for a little love.

good luck.

My father has an old pit bull that we're pretty sure was abused in his past. With some careful attention Hunter is a great dog now. Basically my father treats him like an equal. They're inseperable now and Hunter is fine with other people as well; in fact he's great on the trail :D

Now it is my belief that people who are into dog fighting should be put in the ring of a lion fight.

My sister-in-law has a former fighter pit bull mix that they took off the streets.

She's the most loving dog ever, but very hyper.

That is a good looking dog.

That dog sounds like he would make a good pet. By the way it healed it might have been somewhat trained at some point. Not all pits are mean and they can be very social. Alot of people make the mistake of letting the dog be the leader. They are pack animals and they need structure just like they would get in a pack. This dog does not sound like an alpha dog so I dont think that would be a problem. It looks like a chocolate lab and pit mix, if it is part lab that would certianly help its temperment. Mixed pits are most times calmer then the full breed ones. Good Luck!

my pup came from a pit rescue in Atlantic City which is known for having fighters.he is one of the best dogs i've trained to date.he is a mix pit/lab and yes the mixed breed pits have very good temperments.everybody that comes in contact witn my dog loves him and want to take him home but they can't he is mine.

i would rescue that dog and give him a good home and not think twice about it.if you like dogs and are willing to spend the time to train him correctly he will be one of the best dogs you will ever own i'm sure.....

sorry don't want to be a picture whore but

348puphat-med.JPG

i could torture him all day like this and he would come back with tail wagging asking for more

Last edited:
Here is Brutus. He has the temperment of a scared chihuahua. He is a mix also. I believe blue heeler and pit. It is always funny to see him biting at my labs heels when the lab goes to fetch.

BarnwellMountainGilmerTx008.jpg

Take the damn dog home. You will thank yourself later. Remember he found you.

here is the dog I adopted a few years ago... 110 pounds at 8 months in the pic

Dobey.jpg

and here is her best friend
JadenLaundry.jpg

not all "mean" dogs, such as pits, dobies, rots, etc are mean at all... from the picture you would think so, but a big baby at heart.

LilRedRover said:
here is the dog I adopted a few years ago... 110 pounds at 8 months in the pic

Dobey.jpg

and here is her best friend
JadenLaundry.jpg

not all "mean" dogs, such as pits, dobies, rots, etc are mean at all... from the picture you would think so, but a big baby at heart.

Here's my big puss, Junior. Wanna breed them? I'm 6'4'' btw

w2hliu.jpg

Id call what a chocolate lab/pitbull mix
awesome looking dog
Pits are very human sociable, and it shows goot temperment if he was submissive of your little pup.

Id sure adopt that dog, its the right thing to do
beanrock.jpg

Back