• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What job for the summer?

Which job should i go with for the summer?

• Keep the job with more money even though you will have no life for the rest of the summer

Votes: 18 31.6%
  • Take the job making $3 less but have enough time to enjoy the summer

Votes: 39 68.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

JeepXJ93

NAXJA Forum User
I have a job right now making hydraulic lines for heavy machinery and as the tech i have to remove and install the lines as well. We are also on call 24-7 for one week out of the month, however when someone calls out like often happens, i get stuck w/ the extra shift...so half my month i'm on call. Pay isnt too bad for someone in my position. I hate this job, i come home smelling like hydraulic fluid, w/ cuts and metal braid from blown hoses in my hands and when i get home tired and dirty at the end of a 10 hr day, half the time i have to go back out again b/c another call came in. So i find another job w/ my neighbors irrigation company. The pay is 3 dollars less than i'm making now per hour, however, no on call shift, weekends always off, and when i go home after a 9 hour day i dont have to worry about goin back out again. Thats the question, take the pay cut to have a more life friendly job, or stay w/ more money and have no life?

Take less money. Who cares if you live a humble life? I work to pay for things i do OUTSIDE of work. Why work if you aren't going to enjoy anything? Especially during summer time.

mdl said:
Take less money. Who cares if you live a humble life? I work to pay for things i do OUTSIDE of work. Why work if you aren't going to enjoy anything? Especially during summer time.

^^^x2

unless you are saving up for something BIG that you really want, you should be able to enjoy what you worked for... use that extra time to enjoy some wheelin' :)

I worked my ass off last summer

it was worth it...

I worked for an auto shop making $10 an hour + overtime, 6:30am to 7:00pm every day of the week...

barely could get into my car to drive home at the end of the shift i was so tired.

It was well worth it though - not having to work this semester...

I took a pay cut to be a swim instructor/lifeguard/scuba instructor at the city pool during my summers and work as a commercial diver when not summer. Its nice to have a change of pace, although I love both jobs.

juryrigjalopy said:
I took a pay cut to be a swim instructor/lifeguard/scuba instructor at the city pool during my summers and work as a commercial diver when not summer. Its nice to have a change of pace, although I love both jobs.

My lifeguard story:

I was 15, and lifeguarding at the school pool with my older sister – also a lifeguard. One of our responsibilities was to clean the pool. Well I was treading water in the deep end of the pool while pushing the long pole with the floor-roller attachment. I had cleaned up all of the leaves and went to take the hose off of the pole. The hose was still sucking up water and it got too close to my right leg.
Well, you guessed it….SCHLURP! This 4inch round hose attached itself like a bloodthirsty leech to the upper part of my right leg! Ouch!

I was still in the middle of the pool and I tried to pull of the hose, but it was on tight.
I yelled to my sister who was watching the whole thing to shut off the pump, but she was laughing so hard that it took her over a minute to make her way to the pump-house to turn it off.
The damage was a perfectly round 4inch dark-dark purple hickey that took nearly the whole summer to wear off.
I got plenty of strange stares and was the brunt of jokes about it, like “You missed” etc.

RTicUL8 said:
My lifeguard story:

I was 15, and lifeguarding at the school pool with my older sister – also a lifeguard. One of our responsibilities was to clean the pool. Well I was treading water in the deep end of the pool while pushing the long pole with the floor-roller attachment. I had cleaned up all of the leaves and went to take the hose off of the pole. The hose was still sucking up water and it got too close to my right leg.
Well, you guessed it….SCHLURP! This 4inch round hose attached itself like a bloodthirsty leech to the upper part of my right leg! Ouch!

I was still in the middle of the pool and I tried to pull of the hose, but it was on tight.
I yelled to my sister who was watching the whole thing to shut off the pump, but she was laughing so hard that it took her over a minute to make her way to the pump-house to turn it off.
The damage was a perfectly round 4inch dark-dark purple hickey that took nearly the whole summer to wear off.
I got plenty of strange stares and was the brunt of jokes about it, like “You missed” etc.

That's effed up.

RTicUL8 said:
My lifeguard story:

you think your experience was rough, try being a commercial diver...we can have all of our flesh stripped from the bone if were not careful cutting on pipes underwater - we call it Delta P (not fun stuff).

juryrigjalopy said:
you think your experience was rough, try being a commercial diver...we can have all of our flesh stripped from the bone if were not careful cutting on pipes underwater - we call it Delta P (not fun stuff).

Yea, but with a "true" injury, you would get sympathy.

All I got were vacuum jokes :rolleyes:

RTicUL8 said:
Yea, but with a "true" injury, you would get sympathy.

All I got were vacuum jokes :rolleyes:

yea, i know what your talking about but I broke my ribs twice...ribs are the worst injury yet no sympathy because there is nothing you can do about it (no cast,pins,nothin). Hickeys do suck though.

juryrigjalopy said:
yea, i know what your talking about but I broke my ribs twice...ribs are the worst injury yet no sympathy because there is nothing you can do about it (no cast,pins,nothin). Hickeys do suck though.

Another common response when I tried to explain what happened: "That SUCKS!" ha! ha!

RTicUL8 said:
Another common response when I tried to explain what happened: "That SUCKS!" ha! ha!

Just say that SHE had some healthy lungs and had a leg fetish.

Enjoy the summer. Consider this: You'll only have 70-90 summers to enjoy in life. Don't waste one of them on money...especially just 3k.

Thanks all...im goin w/ the less money, and good news....i got him up another 2 bux to start so now i'm only making $1 less/hr.

Back