• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is with Car/Truck prices?

WB9YZU

NAXJA Forum User
I know, I'm old...

But car/Truck/MC prices have gotten stupid.

Used to be $100 was the going price for high mileage truck with rust. It usually had issues, burned a bit of oil, but would generally get you around.

Now that same exact POS will run you $1000 or more. I don't get it, yards don't pay much more than they used to and taking a car to scrap just barely pays the fuel bill for the gas to take it there.

Looking at CL and looking at a few vehicles that I know New, were purchased new for about what the owner now wants for it with 200K, a "bit" of rust, and problems that need fixing to boot.

Maybe it's the price of new vehicles that's driving this. I mean a "cheap" car, I mean "dirt cheap" is what, $12k?

I wish my pay would keep pace with inflation. Maybe then I could ignore this stuff...

We dont have rust issues here in the Northwest, But you used to find fair condition Renix XJ's here for $500-700.. But Ever since Cash 4 Clunkers, It's hard to get the same rig for $1200..

:(

XJ's have gone stupid in recent years. A 2001 with 200K on it will run you between 4 and 5K because they think they can get dealer price for it.

A 2001 around here will have rust on it, and at 200K is well past prime.
You are almost better off buying a low mile rig someone modified already than buying a unmolested one high mileage one.

Maybe they think they can get triple for a firearm right now, then why not cars too :D

Wanna feel better? Go price a 10-year old Wrangler. Then price a 20 year old Wrangler.

Quit looking at dealer prices. Around here a 00-01 will run 5-7K at a dealer but from a private seller you can find nice ones all day long for $3500 or less.

I got my 98 xj with 142k perfect body, rust free for 1900!
But I did get it from a pretty drugged up dude and I have had to replace a broken piston skirt which isnt all that uncommon.

You want to know what happened to all of the affordable cars?
Cash for Clunkers!
That idiotic program took 75% of the good affordable cars out of commission.
Now junk that used to be $1000.00 is now $3000.00 because there are no, what i would call $1000.00 cars out there, they all had liquid glass run through them.
Fugging Government....

I want like hell to buy a 2000 to 2005 Ford Ranger, you can't find one for under $2000.00 and those are all junk, like 300,000 mile rust buckets.
Good ones start at $5000.00

Thank you Obama!

I just bought a Comanche for $200

Can't figure out what everyone is complaining about. In fact in the last two months I've bought two XJs and this MJ and I've paid $2300 for all three. With the exception of the MJ they all ran still I scrapped them. The two XJs could have easily made someone a really cheap run around car but they are worth more to me in parts.

I guess I'm looking for something more than a vehicle which I have to rebuild before I drive it. Something that the bolts don't all break when you go and work on it. And preferably built this millenium ( it is 2013 now you know ).

It's easy to state raw prices and say that they are a "drivable".
We both know that if these vehicles were worth saving, you'd be fixing them or flipping them. But no, you're scraping them, which me they are damaged beyond repair or piles.

So what is the story on this $200 XJ?
Pre 1997?
200k miles?
Rusted to the top of the fenders?
Needed tires to roll?

Last time I bought a $200 XJ I has to buy a $500 XJ and make one out of 2 of them ;)

"Drivable" or not, $200 doesn't buy a lot of vehicle unless you get it from a relative and is not something that is a normal find in a region where folks buy "winter beaters" for just that purpose.

Last edited:
Back