• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is it?

techno1154

NAXJA Member
NAXJA Member
I need to upgrade/update my profile on the forum since I no longer have the '94 XJ. It was stolen back in November. What I do have is a '96 yet to be modified.
However, I do have a couple of questions :banghead: .. at what time of the year does the year change come into effect? There is a lot of difference between the '94 I once had and the '96 I have that I thought was on the '97 onward. Of course the tag on the door gives a manufacture date of 06-96.

The next question is simpler. That black box with what looks like solonoids and relays under the driver side knee blocker, what does it control? Yes I know the old '94 model had it too but I just never gave it a second look. The reason I am asking now is, I had an alarm with engine kill and remote start installed. The installer did a piss poor job of it. I did not like the way they peeld, twisted and then taped the wires under the dash. Some of the wires are connected to this box. Also, I heared one of these relays were for the ignition positive. Which one is it. (I need to get myself a good manual).

TIA.

techno1154 said:
I need to upgrade/update my profile on the forum since I no longer have the '94 XJ. It was stolen back in November. What I do have is a '96 yet to be modified.
However, I do have a couple of questions :banghead: .. at what time of the year does the year change come into effect? There is a lot of difference between the '94 I once had and the '96 I have that I thought was on the '97 onward. Of course the tag on the door gives a manufacture date of 06-96.

TIA.

I think changes were 91-96, 97-98, 99+. But I thought most of the chages were body panel related?

The body style change was with the '97 model, but the change to OBD-II and the "improved" transfer case output started with the '96 model year. The model year break is when they start the factory up after the summer shutdown. Production generally runs until May or June, then they shut down for retooling and start up again around August. The next model year vehicles generally start hitting the dealers in September.

I notice the '96 has the new style intake manifold, power steering pump, PDM (fuse/relay box) in the engine compartment, a freaky output shaft from the NV231, wiper / headlamp dip switch, cruise control paddles on the wheel and others. I once knew my way around the wiring comfortably. Now I have to re-learn every thing again. Well back to XJ wiring 101. :read: :read:

Back