• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What is Borla thinking with the exhaust hanger on the 17039 header?

Anak

Stranger
NAXJA Member
Following advice I am planning to replace my exhaust with the Borla header. I ordered one and received it today. The design for the hanger just forward of the catalytic converter is most definitely not the same as that with which my Jeep is equipped. I am guessing there is a different design of rubber bushing that I need to find. Here are a couple of pics:

96ExhHanger1OPT.jpg

96ExhHanger2OPT.jpg

Anybody have any suggestions for sourcing a new rubber bushing to match the Borla hanger? Particularly what years used such a design?

I suspect that if I modify the hanger that will invalidate my warranty.

The curved support in the second pic (which I assume is the Borla because it looks new) is the same as whats in my 91. The rod in the first pic is different, my guess it was probably done by the exhaust shop.

This is not a good pic but you can see the bracket here (its brown on the left) and has the curved support

SFR_Trans_Mount_Installed.sized.jpg

You can fold over the tabs on the side of the metal retainer and swap the rubber block. Dealer probably still has one. Have to disconnect the crossmember and trans mount to get to everything.

I originally bought the Borla header and cat-back for my '94 gray metallic 2dr(my fav color), so when I swapped it over to my '96, I used vise grips to curl the "C" into a circle. Borla didn't honor the million mile warranty on the muffler when my stroker melted the newish Magnaflow cat as it was learning the 24#ers, then was cat-less and a failing new Accel coil decided not to fire a rev or two, then when it did, the gas exploded the muffler(gotta love faults induced by mod-crazy user).

Oh yeah, the Borla header has been flawless for many years(and prob >100k mi)and I highly recommend it. I will be swapping it out in the near future for a Clifford header currently with a 2.5" out that I'll chop and weld a 3" v-band on(don't want to ruin a perfect Borla with matching s-pipe). As with any header: make sure your motor and tranny mounts are good(don't blame the header!)

It was a previous owner's failure to deal with motor mounts that created the interesting situation I need to fix.

I think I have the motor mount problem solved with Brown Dogs and a new tranny mount from Napa.

Back