• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What if any trucks came with 31x10.5r15 stock

SeansBlueXJ

NAXJA Forum User
Is there any Veh out there that the stock tire is a 31x10.5R15 from the factory? I am not talking metric equivelants or such but tires that read just like that.

Thanks guys:thumbup:

Do you know what years/packages? i am trying to get a online tireslector to show me that. I am having issues with the guy at costco mounting them up on my XJ he says has to be "orignal equipment" If i cant find any proof that 31's are orignal on any trucks I want to argue such, but if there is a package/year he could look up i dont want to be uninformed eithor.

Thanks

SeansBlueXJ said:
Do you know what years/packages? i am trying to get a online tireslector to show me that. I am having issues with the guy at costco mounting them up on my XJ he says has to be "orignal equipment" If i cant find any proof that 31's are orignal on any trucks I want to argue such, but if there is a package/year he could look up i dont want to be uninformed eithor.

Thanks
Huh...I'll be damned, just like Sam's Club. I ended up having to take my rims in to them, and just not telling them what they were off of.

If they won't mount them, go somewhere that will.
Find a non-chain store, they will likely mount them right up.

Hale

SeansBlueXJ said:
I am having issues with the guy at costco mounting them up on my XJ he says has to be "orignal equipment"

RenixPower said:
Huh...I'll be damned, just like Sam's Club. I ended up having to take my rims in to them, and just not telling them what they were off of.

Must be their lawyers/insurance carrier worried about liability.

Haleyes said:
If they won't mount them, go somewhere that will.
Find a non-chain store, they will likely mount them right up.

Hale
No kiddin. The crap people will go through to save a penny.

Find a REAL tire store. Make friends with them. Usually my tire guy will beat the pants off of the big box stores anyway.

DrMoab said:
No kiddin. The crap people will go through to save a penny.

Find a REAL tire store. Make friends with them. Usually my tire guy will beat the pants off of the big box stores anyway.
x2

local tire guy took my swampers off one set of wheels and mounted them on another set, cost me $32.

DrMoab said:
Big time!, Hell the place I go, asked me when I bought my last 35's for my XJ wanted to make sure I didn't want to go 37's....

I don't have a chain tire store (other than Walmart) within 50 miles of me. 9 times out of 10 the local tire guys are gearheads. Use that to your advantage. Liket they said, make friends. I stop in my local shop about once a week just to shoot the shit. BTW, This is the same guy that set my D30 gears for $75.:D You see where I'm going with this.......:eyes:

Hale

RenixPower said:

Thats what the guy there said to do, but then i loose all teh warantys and services that go with it liftime ballance etc. And to all you bashing, one I have found most local tire shops to be nothing but incompitent and rip offs , two i still would like to know the answer it's a matter of being right or not now. It's no longer a $$ issue but of getting something at least an admission out of em. Actually i had the guy at costco tell me that the tire size wasnt an issue, but my rim/ tire combo on my truck, and if i had 8'' wides it would be fine and he would do it no problem. Well seeing as the BFG website says 7-9" on their site, explain that one to me? :huh:

SeansBlueXJ said:
Thats what the guy there said to do, but then i loose all teh warantys and services that go with it liftime ballance etc. And to all you bashing, one I have found most local tire shops to be nothing but incompitent and rip offs , two i still would like to know the answer it's a matter of being right or not now. It's no longer a $$ issue but of getting something at least an admission out of em. Actually i had the guy at costco tell me that the tire size wasnt an issue, but my rim/ tire combo on my truck, and if i had 8'' wides it would be fine and he would do it no problem. Well seeing as the BFG website says 7-9" on their site, explain that one to me? :huh:
Who's been bashing you? I think most of us have just been trying to give you some advice.

But if you think that a guy at Sam's Club or Costco is more competent then a good tire shop well... I just don't know what to say to that. I think your experience speaks for itself in that area.

SeansBlueXJ said:

I don't see anyone bashing you either. If you can't take the heat.......get out the kitchen. Except in this case, there isn't any heat. :dunno: Lighten up. We're only trying to help.

Hale

DrMoab said:
Who's been bashing you? I think most of us have just been trying to give you some advice.

But if you think that a guy at Sam's Club or Costco is more competent then a good tire shop well... I just don't know what to say to that. I think your experience speaks for itself in that area.

Ok well maybe i was quick to defend myself, sorry for that one and appoligize to everyone.

It's not to say any of thoes are betther then a tire shop it's just that in america. And in the over built over coperate north east i live in espically there are no "good tire shops" they are still all chains for the most part. the ones i have dealt with that werent really eithor couldnt compete on prices or were no beter on service then just going to big box. If im going to have a pain of a time getting what i want done i might as well save a few bucks right?

SeansBlueXJ said:
If im going to have a pain of a time getting what i want done i might as well save a few bucks right?
My tire guy works at a Big O. Huge national chain but he knows his Chit.

I can't think of a single time when he couldn't beat the prices of the box stores.

What you need to do is spend time getting to know and befriend someone like this. Tires are one of those things that you will always need, be it on your jeep, honda or moped.

Never hurts to have a "go to" guy in any situation.

XJumpmaster said:
I tried to do the same thing your doing! I was asked to leave after saying that how can an entire industry be wrong according to Costco policies? LOL

I actuall visited two seperate Costco's and got two diffrent answers. About 5 min ago I finally got "that all makes sence i dont see why we cant do it, call tommrow and talk to the Mgr he might do it" The other shop I had half assed after half assed excse that I kept shooting down. "we need to put what the door sticker says" -- ok i have an old jeep the sticker is long gone. "well then we need to put whats on there" --- it has 31's now! "well we cant do diffrent sizes it throws off the spedo" --- what if i told you it's been reclabrated to 31's and i can give you a recipt for the part i bough to do it. He couldnt find a way to stump me... then i asked what trucks he did put thoes on. "wranglers"-- well a) no wranglers came with 31's i dont belive(i could be wrong) just 30's and so this is a "jeep" just put these on my "jeep" If nothing else the latter exchange i described was fun. :eeks1:

have a spare set of wheels and tires, (this ones worked for me)

drive in on crap wheels and tires, have the tires mounted and balenced on the wheels BUT NOT MOUNTED ON THE VEHICLE

SeansBlueXJ said:

Thanks
Funny you mentioned that, I had my 31x10.50 BFG's installed at Costco about a month ago.

At first, they told me they couldn't, because of the non OEM tire size deal. I knew that going in, I was just trying to get a price on them.

I had bought my set of tires that were on it at the time through them, as well as the tires for the KJ from them, so I was pretty familiar with how they worked, and happy with their services so far. I recently moved to the next town, and started going to a different Costco. After visiting them a couple of times for rotations and balances, I got to know the people who worked at this one (turns out they are all into the Jeep/Truck/4x4 thing), and had remembered me asking about the 31's previously.

I managed to catch the tire manager one day when I was down there, we went out and looked at my Jeep so he could see it was lifted, and I even explained to him, I know exactly where it's going to rub, and i'm aware of the possible problems from the rubbing. Just from eye balling it, he agreed that they would fit with little problems (other than the said rubbing).

We then went back inside, and he told me to hang on a minute, that he wanted to crunch some numbers. As it turns out, they're actually allowed a certain "varience" on the size they can install, other than OEM, and he has to be able to "justify" it, should anybody higher up the chain question him. He crunched some numbers using the 235's that were on there, and the 31's that I wanted, and it came out to just outside their "variance" area. He looked up at me and said "close enough". I went ahead and ordered them that day, and had them on in a week.

They've got the best prices (at least in this area) on tires, plus the lifetime balance/rotation deal. Had to bring the KJ in a couple of weeks ago to get a "foreign object" removed from the tire, and they got it out and patched it up no problem.

edit: You didn't hear this from me :)

Back