• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What I need to get done before Winterfest

I just reuse em, unless the head got rounded when I took it out.

A 5/16" 6 point box wrench is a great thing when it comes to breaking those loose, after which I switch to a regular gearwrench.

Exactly... I learned from you a while back that they are indeed 5/16" and not 8mm as I had previously thought. Unfortunately the last time I pulled this shaft I noticed that the head was rounded on one and I ended up having to cut it off to get the shaft out. Of course now I'm to the point of putting it back in and I can't find any of the bolts. :dunce:

Do you see any issues with using socket cap (allen head) screws instead of reduced hex head screws? Those seem a lot easier to find and I could definitely get them today. I know they are 5/16"-24, but I'm not sure on the length. 1"? Or longer, like 1.25"?

should be fine IMO, but you're going to have to cut down an allen key to use to tighten them, even the short end will probably be too long to fit into the space available.

Lemme go find one of my spares and measure it.

edit: 1.125" from bottom of head to tip of bolt

Last edited:
Pack and go....got the first aid kit and fire extinguisher today.

should be fine IMO, but you're going to have to cut down an allen key to use to tighten them, even the short end will probably be too long to fit into the space available.

Lemme go find one of my spares and measure it.

edit: 1.125" from bottom of head to tip of bolt

Awesome, thank you for checking that. I'll grab the bolts in a few hours and then I'll be all ready to go.

Pack and go....got the first aid kit and fire extinguisher today.

do you have front tow point?

are you aware that the rear bumper needs to be removed to put a hitch on? I would think it would be easier for you to put it on at home if you have all the stuff you need. the campground is a mess and you may not find someone to help you.

do you have a strap w/o hooks?

working cb?

You will be teched, and if you're missing any of the requirements you will not be allowed on the offical naxja runs.

just sayin'

dan.

I have had front tow points since last year, I have a working cb, and I also have a strap without hooks. I realize the bumper has to be removed, but I can't do it myself and I have no help here locally (someone offered to help on here when I get there Thursday).

I have had front tow points since last year, I have a working cb, and I also have a strap without hooks. I realize the bumper has to be removed, but I can't do it myself and I have no help here locally (someone offered to help on here when I get there Thursday).

great!! I just don't want to have to turn anyone away.

See ya on my newb run on friday, right?

dan

So my 8.8 is too far back under the springs. I have the TnT UBEs on there and they have 3 options for axle location. I moved it to the furthest possible spot and found that the rear drive shaft has way too much spline sticking out of the slip joint. So, I'm gonna try and get the damn thing moved forward an inch before tonight.

Hard part is going to be getting the thing jacked up enough. IDK what Meganne's dad has for jack stands here at the house.

Yeah, even though I done some trails, I went ahead and signed up for it. My issue is that I tend to take it easy because I need it everyday. Which is sometimes okay, but other times I should gas it and don't because I am afraid I might break.

You really don't have much to worry about breaking on a stock rig. Just use common sense. Sometimes you need more gas for momentum since you don't have ground clearance or traction. We will learn you.

... now I begin the hunt for those damn reduced-head 5/16" bolts for the driveshaft. I know Fastenal can get some but I'd rather spend an hour driving to get some than 2-3 days waiting.
Brad
I just got those bolts and strap kit from NAPA yesterday. They have them in stock $7.87
Cardboard

Brad
I just got those bolts and strap kit from NAPA yesterday. They have them in stock $7.87
Cardboard
different bolts (unless you're talking about the CV bolts, not the bolts that come with a strap kit) - the strap kit bolts are 1/4-28 UNF, the CV bolts are 5/16-24 UNF.

I pick up the trailer tomorrow morning, grab a couple things from storage, load up the trailer, load the family in the camper and take off.

Jeep is loaded and on the trailer, coolers are loaded and iced and my bags are pretty much packed...just gotta put my pillows, blankets and bag in the truck in the morning and roll out. :thumbup:

Back