• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What I learned at the fall fling

Rental Rubicons are convenient, but I'd rather have had my XJ.
I know more about wheeling than I thought but still not enough to be good at it.
A scenic trail can still cause carnage.
Utah's governor stepping up to the plate and funding the National Parks could teach the other 49 governors a thing or two.
I got a pretty cool sister. (actually knew that before FF-2013)
NAXJA friends are like military friends, haven't seen each other in years and the conversation just picks up where it left off.

Rent a Ruby.... And get the insurance...

I like that idea...

A v8 with a Dana 30 on 35s sounds terrible

2low makes it work (best Moab mod ev3r)

I burn less fuel on a 15 mile trail in Moab, then a .8 mile trail and all the roads to find the .8 mile trail in Oregon

Truck/camper &jeep on trailer weighs over 17k pounds

17k pounds on the way too Moab got me 11.4mpg

17k pounds on the way back home got me 13.2mpg

17k pounds is kind of scary at 90mph

Goatman looks alot like Hugh Hefner(I kept waiting to see him in a maroon robe with a cigar)

I had 2 spare 5/8" nuts for my steering in the "ash tray"

I should probably take inventory and document where I put stuff

My fear of heights has not decreased over the years

Moab without your XJ is sad
Matchbox XJ's do not quite fill in for the full size ones
Rental Rubicons get rented fast after you turn them in
The 30th anniversary is just as fun as the 20th, 25th,...35th?
Big Brothers can drive your prize motorhome with just as much care
Wheeling in Moab is better then golf anyday
Boatwrench really likes to spot others through a tough spot
My XJ does merit a new engine and a return trip to Moab.
NAXJA friends are great even if I forget your name from the last time I met you

Last edited:
Remembering to re torque the U-bolts on your expedition trailer after adding a leaf and driving 1,000 miles Is a good idea before Running a 2 day Expedition run.

In true Naxja fashion Mark and Ed will be working on your junk before you can get out and look at why the trailer axle shifted into the wheel well.

John is so focused when cooking bacon he won't realise he is on fire until someone tells him.

That I must go back and conquer escalator because " I almost had it ".

that hanging out with Dr.Moab is eerily similar to hanging out with MWC ppl.

Moab is even more beautiful in the rain.

That "wet traction" is actually a thing.

If you bring 2 Air Beds for your old man Somehow they will both go flat .

After the first airbed goes flat it is a terrible idea to pack the remaining one against the propane tank.

Under the back seat becomes a terrible place to store your winch controller when you are Tipped way up and to the side on Escalator.

A Moab Brewery Growler is a Crapload of beer for one person.

If you can get people to try it Everyone likes Enchilada casserole.

Ninja Might just like John and Tara more than us .

Alex wont spot Aaron off a Cliff even if it looks like he is about to.

Dan knows where to find a good Security guard for his raffle tickets .. Ninja style..

It can be hard to tell if Dan and Mac are being sarcastic or not sometimes.

JJ used to wrestle dudes in High school.

Daves Conqueror trailer holds A LOT of water.

Ryans trailer wheels Great

My trailer has A LOT of storage and is entertaining to watch.

If you have more than a 30 second stop John will Be gone on foot doing recon or something.

No matter where we go or who we meet the NAXJA members do not disapoint !

Last edited:
  • Slick rock isn't.
  • The shallow creek crossing at the beginning of Cliffhanger looks very different at the END of Cliffhanger when it's been raining all day.
  • The XJ's lower door seals are not waterproof.
  • It's a shame that Dead Horse Pale Ale is not available in Texas.
  • There are only about 200 species of birds in the Moab region during October (my wife's a birder).
  • The wind direction in West Texas and Northern New Mexico mysteriously changes such that I always tow into a headwind. Always.
  • My tow vehicle does NOT like towing uphill into the wind. I concur.
  • The canyon country around Moab sits atop a huge salt dome.
  • Potash is mined from areas that sit atop huge salt domes (we met a geologist at the bar in McStiff's. He was in Moab teaching other geologists. About geology.).
  • Considering the cost of this trip, it's depressing to think that Shell PAYS geologists to come to Moab.
  • Perhaps I should have majored in geology.
  • It turns out that Shell is not currently hiring "geologists" with no experience in geology. Bastards.
  • I really miss my kids when they're not along for the ride.
  • Even so, it will be difficult to top this vacation.
  • We WILL be back, and we will bring our kids.
  • I'm hoping to convince at least one of my kids to major in Geology and take a job with Shell. As a geologist. That teaches geology. To other geologists. In Moab.
  • In spite of all the hype, Moab is not overhyped. It's that good.

-Your internet arguments seem to take on a different tone when you can put a face to a name
-Things that take 6 months to talk about on the internet are done in 5 minutes around a campfire
-Yelling "free food" to a bunch of cheap jeep cherokee owners makes the guy behind the grill nervous
-Getting to say hello and thank you to all the cheap ass jeep cherokee owners lined up at the grill makes the guy behind the grill happy
-Drive slugs work all the time
-My wife owns big girl pants and put them on all week to ride up some serious terrain
-Wifi GoPro's are way cooler than non-wifi GoPro's
-Wayne is a kick ass spotter
-Parker and Spencer are kick ass comic spotters
-MTR's live up to the hype
-The sound your truck makes when the boost hose from the turbo to the intercooler blows off will scare the shit out of you
-Giving spare parts and fluids to other people in your group is so much nicer than using them yourself
-The best compliment is watching the guy spotting your group walk back to his jeep before you go up the obstacle, but I'm still not sure if it was respect or secretly hoping I would end up with the bonehead award :)

-Every NAXJA event proves that we're a group of people, from all over the country, from all different backgrounds, with all kinds of different opinions, that would climb under a broken jeep on a cliff overlooking certain death while rattlesnakes hiss at us just to help each other out. I think the world could use a lot more of that.

I learned that I REALLY don't like driving my Jeep next to exposed edges...

...and that 10 x 2 = 5.

I learned that my kids have Fall break this week so I'm packing the Cruiser today for another 4 days in Moab. :D :cool:

Slickrock Campground sucks. It took them 2 days to unclog a commode.

Making new friends at Slickrock campground almost makes up for the poor facilities.

Sometimes 6" right or left is the difference between walking up an obstacle and spinning your tires.

Jason is a great dad. He chirps his tires to put a smile on his son's face and tosses rocks into a puddle getting bigger cheers with bigger rocks.

A stock WJ can climb Hell's Gate.

It takes a good spotter to get folks through Escalator.

Goatman is related to PT Barnum

I saw Musselman Arch and Gemini Bridges and now I am confused as to the difference between a bridge and an arch.

The MWC folks let me know that being a caltard was OK

Never leave home without power tools. It make working on my junk so much easier.

Moab is a mecca for offroaders, mountain bikers and hikers. It makes for an interesting experience in City Market

- bringing doors to Moab this time was a good idea
- rain sucks but somehow it doesn't detract from a good day wheeling in Moab
- thinking that "I won't need that windshield washer bottle" was a bad idea
- hydraulic assist is good
- there are a lot of nice looking XJ's at this event
- the group of Wranglers from Texas on Pritchett Canyon will refuse to take the "Cherokee line" up Rocker Knocker, even if it results in them giving up and taking the bypass
- the Cherokees ruled the trail that day, as was told to us by the hikers watching
- dinosaur tracks are awesome
- water crossings and water holes in Moab can be deceivingly deep or shallow
- my wife and kids have to come to Moab
- I have to come back to Moab more often than every 5 years

-My wife owns big girl pants and put them on all week to ride up some serious terrain

-The sound your truck makes when the boost hose from the turbo to the intercooler blows off will scare the shit out of you

Because she didn't want to get left.

And you should hear it on a semi when they come off. BOOM!!!!

I'd think it would be a lot like when your pager would go off when you were elbow deep inside a machine (even when you know the circuit is off). In your head you know that it's your pager vibrating but initially your gut says you're getting a shock. Then you sorta laugh about it.

TORX learned...

• the story behind the beginning of NAXJA
  • that when you get a hundred XJ's together, they will all be very different from one another
  • Patrick (the New York guy) wears Mom Jeans
  • John (lesslimited) is a brew master
  • Thom always finds the positive aspect of a situation ("well at least your fairlead is still attached")
  • Approach angle is critical in Moab
  • that Jesus himself could not have done a better job of spotting than Wayne
  • Blondejoncherokee has a very distinct taste in music
  • that other states should adopt the Utah speed limit
  • "west coast proven" is a real thing
  • 2 Low is a godsend in Moab with a non-selectable front locker
  • that the other chapters are full of cool dudes
  • that I want to make it out to some of the other NAXJA events
  • that I take pride in driving my junk to and from these events

TORX learned...

• the story behind the beginning of NAXJA
  • that when you get a hundred XJ's together, they will all be very different from one another
  • Patrick (the New York guy) wears Mom Jeans
  • John (lesslimited) is a brew master
  • Thom always finds the positive aspect of a situation ("well at least your fairlead is still attached")
  • Approach angle is critical in Moab
  • that Jesus himself could not have done a better job of spotting than Wayne
  • Blondejoncherokee has a very distinct taste in music
  • that other states should adopt the Utah speed limit
  • "west coast proven" is a real thing
  • 2 Low is a godsend in Moab with a non-selectable front locker
  • that the other chapters are full of cool dudes
  • that I want to make it out to some of the other NAXJA events
  • that I take pride in driving my junk to and from these events

2-low. On my list, behind a cage and harnesses...

"West Coast Proven"...
I like, who is gonna design that sticker? To replace 'trail rated'?
Do I sense a new NW NAXJA logo?

Back