• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What have I been working for all this time?

Jawa

NAXJA Forum User
I've been working in a startup division of a software company for about 2.5 years now. We're a small group, 6 total, 3 of us that are managers/directors/decision-makers and 3 staff that report to us. I'm responsible for all customer contact, project management, and the configuration work that goes into getting a customer up and running on our software. We've been very successful, despite the economy, and have gone from nothing to a half million/month revenue machine. It's taken a truckload of work with many of my nights and weekends sacraficed to the cause.

The other 2 guys are more adminstrative type jobs - one is legal and compliance and the other is product maangement. The product manager helps out a little with the setup and customer management, but not much. Me and 1 or 2 of our staff have done the lion's share of... well... everything that has made us the success we are today.

Yesterday the company released a new org chart... The product and legal guys got fancy Vice President titles and pay raises to match, I'm sure. What did I get? A "lateral transition" to the company's general tech support team. WTF?? Oh, wait, they call it an Account Manager, so that makes it something I should be happy about. I'm told that "supporting our customers is the most important role there is"... cause maybe that'll make me feel better. Eff off! If it's the most important job out there why am I not paid like it? They've got no good response to that one. Actually, the new position moves me to a different bonus plan that's not nearly as lucrative as the one I was on.

I'm especially steamed when EVERY time I go by one of our new VP's desks he's blogging on ESPN. Literally, EVERY time! Meanwhile I've got enough work to keep me busy for 12 hours a day... While this guy is posting about Tiger's latest round of golf I've been presenting business plans to management, working with our staff to streamline our operations, etc... and in reward I get shat on. Friggin' awesome! Oh, I almost forgot that they're now telling me I have to be on call 24/7 several days a month, INCLUDING SOME WEEKENDS AND HOLIDAYS. It just gets better and better.

Sorry for the long rant... I'm at my wit's end with this place. :flamemad:

Welcome to the real world just wait till about 6 months befor you are vested for retirement and they show you the door . Build a resume and start sending it to prospects and make a list of your customers

At least you have a job. count your blessings
Companies are using that line to justify screwing over people. I hired in as an Engineer II and was promised a promotion to Engineer III within 6 months. I had already been a contractor with the company for almost a year so they knew what I could do. They also promised me a $20k a year raise within 6 months. Shortly there after they froze wages and promotions, cut their workforce in half and I've had to be working 70 hours a week for the last year. My raise was that they announced that everybody would get one week off each month without pay. I have been able to dodge some of the shutdowns, but crap. They even asked many of us to work the shutdowns for free.

A good portion of our remaining engineering work force has since quit, putting more stress and work on the ones left behind.

I understand your frustration. But keep at it things are bound to turn around. I had to work with this tool who made more then me. And did less work and did not have as much talent. I was pissed but I hung in there and he finally self destructed and I got 7 dollar a hour raise. My wife is pissed about these girl she works with cause she keeps pawning her work off on her and the girl takes a ton of time off. I told her just hang in there cause I know this girl is going to self destruct soon.

That REALLY sucks. I definitely know the feeling. On a lighter sad I'm happy ( in a twisted way) to know I'm not only one getting completely shit on by my employer.

I have a similar problem with my boss at work. I don't care if she is my boss but she doesn't do JACK. She needs to go back to grade school to learn how to talk, spell and needs to learn how to talk to people. I have been there for almost a year now and all of the managers sit in the office and talk all damn day when they could come help me and the other guys i work with finish our stuff on the days we are running behind, but instead they sit on their fat asses and eat twinkies all damn day.

My company made me move from one town to another 90 miles away. after 6 months they got rid of my position and had to move back to the previous location.

they did this all without assistance.

three weeks after i got there, they laid me off

at least you have a job, dont like it, find a new one

Jawa said:
What have I been working for all this time?

Food, shelter, clothing...

Keep the 'ol resume dusted off, they seem just fickle enough to replace you with a 24-7 call center.

Corporate America does not and will not spend money on ankind of leadership training Rule no 1 if you are any kind of leader be it forman manager or squad leader is look out for your people take care of them they will take care of you, most companys promote by longivity not job preformance
its sad but true , seems like mostly assholes are running things anymore

Hypoid, Apostle, I hear ya. I AM thankful to even have a job and feel I'm fairly compensated for what I do. However, that doesn't stop the frustration with what I feel to be unfair treatment. I'm allowing myself to be pissed off and upset about it this weekend - come Monday I'm going to put on my happy face and get back to it.

...and I'll be updating my resume and getting it out there. :D Doesn't hurt to look, eh? :thumbup:

jimgrms - I got a good chuckle out of your new signature. :laugh3:

I don't blame you there.

Back