• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what happned to the bolt in roll cage??

"Our system is made of 1.75 x 1.20 wall cold roll tubing"
LOL, I hope they mean .120 wall tubing! :D

Jes

Im waiting for c-roks 4 piece exo/bumpers/rocker system. Im hoping its reasonably priced as it looks like a decent set-up.

XJZ said:
An internal cage (more times than not), isn't built to protect the occupants. Is primary function is to stiffen/strengthen the unibody and extend it's life.

Don't depend on an external cage to protect your panels, ain't gonna happen. And exos only aren't very strong.

I disagree.

A properly-designed and installed internal cage both stiffens the chassis and protects the occupants. Which you consider to be the "primary" of these two functions is whichever one is most important to you. Personally, I would not install a cage for the primary purpose of chassis stiffening, but I would do so for occupant protection. If it then stiffened the chassis as well ... so much the better.

cage

Rusty can't figure out how to carry a good rear spring. I can't imagine his name even being associated with a "roll cage" Andy's bolt in cage was pretty cool. He built my weld in and its bad ass! dave

Eagle said:
I disagree.

A properly-designed and installed internal cage both stiffens the chassis and protects the occupants. Which you consider to be the "primary" of these two functions is whichever one is most important to you. Personally, I would not install a cage for the primary purpose of chassis stiffening, but I would do so for occupant protection. If it then stiffened the chassis as well ... so much the better.

6 of one, a half a dozen of the other. What are you disagreeing on?

Pick which is most important to you, it does both equally well. I didn't say it CAN'T do both. It's a win/win situation.

Last edited:
i have tried to stay out of this topic, but to state my plan for this cage, the best rollcage in the world will not help anybody when it is a stack of 1.75" X 1.20" wall DOM tubing beside a bender with a welder nearby. my cage is my idea and i am very happy with the end results. the weak spot is in the joints, 1/4" X 2" tabs about 3" apart with the same bushings in a leaf spring, how much energy will it take to deflect the joint? i don't know the exact amount, but i am very sure that it will take a very large amount to crush this cage. Beezil's cage is far better than mine, but it won't fit in my XJ, so my cage is better in my application, i can't find any other cage for a XJ with a full interior.
IMHO flame on.

2offroad said:
a stack of 1.75" X 1.20" wall DOM tubing beside a bender with a welder.

I just want to know about the bender that bends 1.2 wall tubing?!
Wouldn't that mean the min diameter would be 2.4"? 2.5 to call it "tubing" and not solid stock?
I'm laughing here, you should be also. Just tiring my best to lighten the emotions around here.

JEONLYEP said:
I just want to know about the bender that bends 1.2 wall tubing?!
Wouldn't that mean the min diameter would be 2.4"? 2.5 to call it "tubing" and not solid stock?
I'm laughing here, you should be also. Just tiring my best to lighten the emotions around here.
i thought i fixed that, now i can't edit it i stink at typing.

Its funny that there is this big hatred for bolt in cages and saying they aren't strong enough. Many racing bodys allow you to use them and in some classes its the only one you can use since you have to use a perticular make of cage that is only a bolt in. I will weld mine in my jeep but for some it just dosent make sence for them.
As for the exo vs internal, An exo will not hold up very well with out something good in side to attach it to. and its funny the first time I saw an exo cage on the trail he still ended up with body damage.

REDXJ4FUN said:
Its funny that there is this big hatred for bolt in cages and saying they aren't strong enough. Many racing bodys allow you to use them and in some classes its the only one you can use since you have to use a perticular make of cage that is only a bolt in. I will weld mine in my jeep but for some it just dosent make sence for them.
As for the exo vs internal, An exo will not hold up very well with out something good in side to attach it to. and its funny the first time I saw an exo cage on the trail he still ended up with body damage.

no one is saying "all bolt on cages are weak".

we are referring to a particular cage design that pictures were posted of once.

REDXJ4FUN said:

"big hatred"?

Can you say "forum"? Can you say "discussion"?

It has been said many times that diagonal bracing is a major contributor to roll cage strength. Cages with little or no diagonal bracing depend on strength at the corners and joints for strength. Replace a solid bend or welded corner with a pinned, articulating joint and you throw strength out the window. Common sense has a place here.

Back