• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what do you need to get done?

Heep runs at 225-235. I'm hoping it's an air bubble or it's a cracked header. Doesn't overheat, but settles halfway to the redline. Turning the fan on makes little difference.

Have a wicked vibration that gets louder and softer with an increase or decrease in speed. It's probably the driveshaft that we put back together on the trail. I've got a couple in the garage that I'm going to throw new joints in and mount them up.

So glad it's 98 degrees outside.

Yea no doubt on the 98 thing! well 94 here on the way back from lunch. So looking forward to working in the shop on that traction bar after work.... NOT!

Yay for stupid heat.......Good thing all I need to do is figure out what the clunking noise coming from my front axle is. It started when I installed the alloys. I took them out and reinstalled them and still have the same noise. If all else fails, stock shafts are going back in.

I'm Hijacking this thread bc its worthless with out pictures......

IDK if what you see here is what it will end up like but at least its progress.... and of course its pint night tomorrow night..... :doh:

My exhaust header leaks at the #1 cylinder between the tube and the flange. I think it's been like that for a while though. Picked up a thermostat on the way home and a new radiator cap. I'm really hoping I can fix this without taking the water pump off.

My exhaust header leaks at the #1 cylinder between the tube and the flange. I think it's been like that for a while though. Picked up a thermostat on the way home and a new radiator cap. I'm really hoping I can fix this without taking the water pump off.

What header are you running?

It's a stock manifold I think. I was hoping to find something blowing on the block, but maybe I just have some sort of cooling system problem. It ran at 210 when we were out at easter on the trail, then I replaced the radiator with a CSF 3 row because the fan clutch ate it up and now it's hot all the time.

I can see the thermostat open on the temp gauge, but it's late, well past 210. The temp drops to 195 and then creeps back up to the line before the red. It idles at 210, but when I drive it it gets hot and never recovers. I have really good heat coming from the heater core and when I turn it on the temp comes down a little.

Maybe the transmission cooler and the power steering cooler are blocking the radiator too much or the A/C gizmo is clogged. Mac thinks I should burp it at the cylinder head sensor, I just haven't had a chance to get a wrench back there yet.

I read some stuff last night about the same symptoms when the water pump goes out, but the damn thing was functional before I wrecked the radiator.

It's a stock manifold I think. I was hoping to find something blowing on the block, but maybe I just have some sort of cooling system problem. It ran at 210 when we were out at easter on the trail, then I replaced the radiator with a CSF 3 row because the fan clutch ate it up and now it's hot all the time.

I can see the thermostat open on the temp gauge, but it's late, well past 210. The temp drops to 195 and then creeps back up to the line before the red. It idles at 210, but when I drive it it gets hot and never recovers. I have really good heat coming from the heater core and when I turn it on the temp comes down a little.

Maybe the transmission cooler and the power steering cooler are blocking the radiator too much or the A/C gizmo is clogged. Mac thinks I should burp it at the cylinder head sensor, I just haven't had a chance to get a wrench back there yet.

I read some stuff last night about the same symptoms when the water pump goes out, but the damn thing was functional before I wrecked the radiator.

I've seen crazier stuff happen. Water pumps are cheap to replace and relatively easy thankfully. But I can understand the frustration of having to make a mess of coolant...again...

Yours is a 96ish right?

As for the manifold, i've been happy with the Dorman one that is at every parts house. They finally wised up and put some damn flex joints in it so it wouldn't crack as easily....whoda thunk? I ran two different APN's before I went with a Dorman. First one did great, until the motor mount let go and took the manifold with it. Warrantied that one out and the replacement one was junk. The flange that runners 1-3 are welded to was about 1/4" away from being level with the flange for runners 3-6....i.e. a major leak around cylinder #3 lol.

I've seen crazier stuff happen. Water pumps are cheap to replace and relatively easy thankfully. But I can understand the frustration of having to make a mess of coolant...again...

Yours is a 96ish right?

As for the manifold, i've been happy with the Dorman one that is at every parts house. They finally wised up and put some damn flex joints in it so it wouldn't crack as easily....whoda thunk? I ran two different APN's before I went with a Dorman. First one did great, until the motor mount let go and took the manifold with it. Warrantied that one out and the replacement one was junk. The flange that runners 1-3 are welded to was about 1/4" away from being level with the flange for runners 3-6....i.e. a major leak around cylinder #3 lol.

I have a replacement one on the spare engine in the garage. I don't remember where I got it but it has a much thicker flange and it's in good shape.

I'll probably put a water pump in it just to make sure. I did run water in it for a few years, probably not the best thing.

So the good news is I found a stuck thermostat. It wouldn't open at all. I've got that replaced and the system reserviced. It started creeping on me when I turned the ac on, so I started to think I had an airflow problem. Shut the heep off and spun the fan clutch like a college student around the pole while Alice in chains was playing over the stereo.

Hopefully the thermostat fixed my highway overheating problem. The new fan clutch should finally fix this thing.

Got the passenger side drive flange installed but the drivers side is stuck in the hub. I'm going to make a plate and buy a slide hammer to get it out.

Tinkered with the traction bar tonight.... Bugged Nick and Tim with text pictures of my not so much progress.....

I've got alot still to do but now I have a good feeling it'll get done...

WJ Knuckle swap Done
Install RCV's Done
New tie rod , track bar, and drag link Done
install 8.8 rear axle Done
Mount CB antena Still to do
Install new valve cover gasket May do
Build rear cabinet, deck in the rear for storage Yea, not gonna happen
Other things as I'm sure...

Swap front drive shaft
Change the oil
Figure out an electrical issue...when my AC compressor comes on so does the windshield wipers.:wierd:

Is anyone going to have a SWR meter at the Crawl? I finally got a decent CB installed and would like to get it tuned.

thanks,

jim

Might ask Stump. Seems like he has one. I'll ask Lenny too.

Working cb? What's that? Hahaha, I need to check my swr again... also added a shock to my list. It's cool to run one ome and one stock length shock right? :D

Back