• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

What can an XJ comfortably tow?

In my opinion, if your from somewhere without alot of hills or mountains you could tow it with a toyota corrola if you take the stops reallllly slow. Not much to pulling something on flat land besides getting it moving and stopping it. The problems you run into are if you are going over ANY kind of hill/mountain/large ant bed. Try to borrow the f450, towing heavy loads without trailer brakes gets fun when you hit some pea gravel on the road trying to stop... ask me how i know

I rented a u-haul dolly to pick up a 95 4dr 4wd Country, ahem I mean a 1991 Miata, and towed it 1.5hrs with my 96 2dr 2wd 4.6 w/ the ZJ rears. The extra torque of the stroker helped immensely.
edit: maybe I did say a Tercel, I forget.

All i know is we towed an old airstream with my buddies 00 xj 4.5", 33's, and no sway bars 3 hours.. and it was pretty much hell. Had to get a good swerve going to even get a look to see if you could get over or not.. Airstream was every bit a good 2 foot wider and taller than than the cherokee, so mirrors were useless lol

Dragged a 6x10 uhaul trailer from indy to north of green bay. It was filled with furniture, so not that heavy, but the wind blowing that thing back and forth was hairy as heck. If future moves necessitated that large of trailer I would borrow a larger tow rig. That thing was a bitch to go through rushhour traffic in Chicago too!

I tow with my XJ all the time. It does great with loads under 2500lbs. The short wheelbase combined with a softish rear suspension and marginal braking system tells me that anything more than that gets the big truck.

these things are sketchy enough without towing anything lol
i tow my jeep behind my 5000lb 3/4 ton van and that is sketchy enough to not want to tow anything over 1000-1500lbs with my xj. it has nothing to do with power, it's all in the brakes, suspension, and stable road characteristics. not one of those does the xj accell at.

I never trust surge brake. the main problem with towing something that weighs close to the tow rig is it can push you down the road also the lack of braking. class three hitches don't spread the weight of whats being towed. it can lead to having to much weight on the rear that takes away from steering. if you don't have enough on the rear it can push the rear around. it comes down to a good braking system and getting the weight of what your towing in the right spot. I try only to pull with something that has a brake controller or air brakes.

Back