• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Would you tow a jeep with an xj?

How many miles are we actually talking? If you can find someone with a Class A and doubles/triples endorsement, it wouldn't be a problem. Hell, I believe a 53' might do the job but you would have to find a place to unload everything. The only problem would be the cost. I was looking at hauling a bunch of bikes from Northern California to the Dragons Tail in NC and was looking at around 3k round trip for the week. One way would be cheaper but only if you can find someone to drive it like that. I'm willing for sure. But a co-driver would make things faster. Only a thought.

100% no way. Driving it 50 miles on the highway on a nice day at 50 MPH to drop it off somewhere, sure. But cross country? No way. XJs are scary enough towing small boats.

tow the Jetta??, put the scrambler behind the moving van on a trailer?

That's what I would do. Put the Jetta on a dolly and tow it with the XJ. Tow the CJ8 behind the moving truck on a full trailer.

A stock scrambler with no top weighs about 3200 lbs. I doubt no matter how built the scrambler is you didn't add 1800 lbs to it. The factory rating with "marginal brakes" is 5000 lbs. I would buy a $200 tow bar and hook up the cj and see how it feels to you. You would be well within legal limits, and well within safe limits IMHO. I've flat towed a 67 wagoneer on a tow bar over the sierras without a problem.

I've driven between VA/PA and CO 15+ times now. Some trips pulling trailers, xj on a trailer, trailer behind a xj, etc. NO f'ing way I would tow a vehicle (flat or trailered) with an XJ over that distance. The stress on the XJ would make me cringe. Then, there is the wind in KS.

Do a dry run. Put the scrambler on a trailer and take it for a drive. If you don't feel confident, don't pull it cross country. Not worth it.

Exactly!

When I was going to my first Cherokee Crawl, I was going to two it behind the ZJ. The ZJ is rated to tow 5,000 and the XJ/trailer combo came in at about 4500.

I took it for a run around my neighborhood and felt very uncomfortable on the hills in middle TN and knew that doing the mountains of eastern KY was going to be a bad idea.

Common sense prevails. I do like the suggestions of towing the VW with the XJ and putting the Scrambler behind the U-Haul.

I'll reverse my suggestion. I looked up the towing capacity of the XJ and it is rated at 2,000 lbs, so I wouldn't tow either.

Not sure where you got your 2000lb tow rating, but that was only for 4 cyl cherokees. All cherokees with a 4.0L were rated for 5k lbs from the factory.

5k is correct for a 4.0 with a factory tow package

internet says 2000 lbs in most places you check
I wonder if you are looking at the KL Cherokee specs and not the XJ Cherokee rating???

The 4.0L with an AW4 are rated for 5000lbs with trailer brakes. 2000lbs for the manual shift or without trailer brakes. Having owned two XJ's, a panic stop, abrupt maneuvering and or cross winds will scare the s##t out of me.

A firmer suspension, upgraded brakes (think ZJ or WJ) and an transmission oil cooler and a low trailer or vehicle may improve the odds. Notamos mentioned the winds in Kansas. On the I-70 they could be merciless. If I had to do it, I would think long and hard about it.

And the wind is always blowing in Kansas and the Colorado Eastern Plains.

Newbies may wonder if their car is out of alignment or something needs to be replaced in the suspension.

I wonder if you are looking at the KL Cherokee specs and not the XJ Cherokee rating???

I typed in 96 cherokee sport tow ratings...and it said 2000 lbs.

KL wasn't made back then

Below is what comes up

1996 Jeep Cherokee Sport
Compact sport utility vehicle
Model: 1996 Jeep Cherokee
Horsepower: 190 hp
Engine: 4.0 L 6-cylinder
MPG: Up to 18 city / 23 highway
Towing capacity: 2,000 lbs
Curb weight: 2,905 to 3,115 lbs
Warranty: 3 yr/36,000 mi basic

If it has the towing package (tranny cooler, 3.73 gears, hitch, etc) and trailer brakes, it can tow 5000.

Last edited:
Newbies may wonder if their car is out of alignment or something needs to be replaced in the suspension.

It gets me every time. I'll think a tire is going out or something terrible is happening, then it stops for a moment... It tires you out, having to concentrate / work that extra bit for hours on end.

I have flat towed a CJ-7 behind a 4x4 XJ and behind a Ford Ranger 4x4. It was butt clenching excitement at every curve and stop sign. The 4.0L will pull it no problem, but controlling it, and stopping it promptly are the major fails. Maybe on a tow dolly with brakes for a few hundred miles, but certainly not cross-country over mountains and windy flatlands.

I have flat towed a CJ-7 behind a 4x4 XJ and behind a Ford Ranger 4x4. It was butt clenching excitement at every curve and stop sign. The 4.0L will pull it no problem, but controlling it, and stopping it promptly are the major fails. Maybe on a tow dolly with brakes for a few hundred miles, but certainly not cross-country over mountains and windy flatlands.
I agree! I have flat towed an XJ across town and certainly wouldn't want to do it for any long distances.

IIRC in order to tow the at the 5000 lb rating, a weight distribution hitch is also required...but again that won't help you stop it, although it should help a little with sway. It's better to just face the fact that our little XJs just aren't designed to tow much.

Jeep owners manual says 5k, don't believe everything you read on the internet.

The manual in my 96 sport says 5000 lbs....but to tow 5000 lbs, requires a class III hitch (not all came with one), trailer brakes and a WD hitch, as well as the HD battery & cooling packages.

Back