• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

what battery should I get to operate my winch??

Hehehehehehe..... a guy selling alternators... now a guy selling batteries... This could get interesting.

My winch will run just fine on a 12v dry cell. The kind you find on big flashlights.

Never understood the need to convert mechanical energy into electrical energy to convert it back to mechanical.

Rev

w_howey, I'm not here to sell anything. I am here to provide factual information. No one has done more testing on our batteries than we have. Rush Power Systems, I wasn't addressing your comments directly, but you did state in this thread that your opinion was to use a RedTop on a winch and that it was the better choice. As a representative of the manufacturer of these two products (and the company that wrote the warranty on these products), I couldn't disagree with you more.

Making any battery purchase purely because of the rated specifications of a product or the warranty or price or any other single factor is probably short-sighted. As a point of clarification, we manufacture YellowTops in multiple sizes and configurations, so the YellowTop specs you were referring to were either for our Group D34 or D34/78. Nevermind the group 31 batteries, our D51 YellowTop has fewer cranking amps and less reserve capacity than the RedTop Group 34, but I would recommend it for a deep-cycle application before I would recommend any RedTop, because RedTops are not designed or warrantied for deep-cycle use.

As I mentioned before, someone can probably get away with using a RedTop in a deep-cycle application, but we do not warranty RedTops used in such applications. Even though you claim otherwise, YellowTops are designed for use in starting applications and can be deep-cycled hundreds of times, while RedTops are only designed for starting applications. If someone wants to take your advice, void their warranty and use RedTops in winching applications, they are welcome to contact you for warranty service.

As for the quality of our products, as a manufacturer of alternators (you do manufacture your own alternators, don't you?), I'm sure you are aware that it is far easier for alternator manufacturers to tell people their products are 100% brand-new, than it is for someone to prove otherwise. I'm not about to question anything about your products, because that's not my job. However, if someone calls into question the quality of our products, I ask them to provide factual information that supports their statements and contradicts my statements that our quality has improved under JCI ownership.

Jim McIlvaine
eCare Manager, OPTIMA Batteries, Inc.
www.pinterest.com/optimabatteries

Back