• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well I was cancer free for 3 months...

ZachMan

NAXJA Forum User
NAXJA Memorial Lifetime Member
So I had lymphoblastic lymphoma (NHL) and went through hyper-cvad chemo from Sept. 06 - Feb. 07 and then radiation. I've been feeling good and good to be back to life and all that. Well I noticed a swollen lymph node under my jaw line and began to worry some. I went to the clinic got a prescription for some stong anitbiotics an nothing happened so I go to my regular doc this past Monday and I was told I have strep throat. Well one thing I haven't mentioned is my man parts (my balls) have gotten swollen the last few weeks, but no pain or bumps or anything. Well go to see my real cancer doc. at the clinic today and he took one look and my two friends and said "shiat". So I had a bone marrow biopsy done right then and there and I just got home. This sucks so bad I can't hardly type this from my tears. I do sometimes have depresion and feel sorry for myself, but for once in my life I can truly say its justified.

I hope to beat this crap again and its not even the question of going back into remission again, its the uncertainty of whats next and whats it all for...all this pain and suffering just be back at square one. I don't know right now this was just so sudden and all I can't think straight.

So I got some scans to take tommorow or friday and we'll see whats really going on....I hope for the best. Going to have 2-3 rounds of chemo then an auto transplant this time.

Jesus dude, my condolences, that sucks. My Grandpa and my Dad both have had prostate cancer and had it removed but they were both significantly older than you are. I can't believe you're only 24 and have had two different bouts with it. It sucks in any form. I wish you the best dude, keep us posted.
-Collin

Hopefully you get good news. The back and forth crap can get the best of anyone, physically and mentally.

Don't forget to lean on your friends and family if you need it, they can take it.

I hate to hear this man. Keep your chin up and think positive. My dad was told that he had less then a year to live due to cancer. He (my old man) said that he would fight it and now he is going on 12 years and still living...and not just living in the sense of being able to breath on his own, but living life to the fullest and being a great dad and grandpa to my kids. Regardless of the hand that we are all delt, we have to sometimes double down and KNOW that we will come out alright. Keep us posted on your updates.

I was a bone marrow doner for my little brother. He had Acute Myelocytic Leukemia. I wish I could say my donation put an end to it. It gave him a year in remission, but in the end, it wasn't enough. That's not the greatest news to drop on you, but then I suspect you're not looking fake 'buck up' pep talks. But, I'm going to give you one anyway.

If you wonder if it's all worth it, my brother taught me is this. You are worth it. Fight this thing with all that you have, because in the end, it will be worth it to have you here, with us.

God bless and Good Luck.

Sorry to hear Zach. Stay Strong, and keep good thoughts, you will beat it again

Look at all the money Lance Armstrong made from his books!
Beat it, write a book, make millions, spend it on Jeeps....
What could be better?
Okay, so maybe the whole chemo thing could be better,
but think of the stories you will have for the grand kids!

Rick

man, i won't pretend i know what to say to improve your situation. i used to think that there may never be a cure for most cancers. but i really believe we are getting very close to a cure of some sort. my wife works at the local university hospital and she gets bits and pieces of info. on certain things ( she doesn't work in the cancer center) anyhow, i have great hope in "micro technology", someday kicking the crap out of cancers. kind of like microscopic "trojan horse" type stuff. for your sake, i hope it's soon, hang in there Zach.

Zach,

There have been drastic improvements in cure rates for lymphoma and leukemia in just the last few years - keep your chin up and stay aggressive with your doctors to make sure they are giving you the attention you deserve. It is important that you take an active role in managing your treatment and eventual cure.

To other NAXJA participants: my 17 year old daughter and my wife have formed a local team of moms/daughters to travel 250 miles in October to run in the San Francisco Marathon, specifically to raise money for the Leukemia and Lymphoma Society. Neither my wife or daughter have ever run in a race before, but they have committed to raising $5200 per mom/daughter pair (ten pairs in their team) and 100% of the money will go to the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society. You can make donations directly here:

http://www.active.com/donate/tntgla/lauraragsdale

and visit the Society's website here:

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org

Even a little donation helps; if you don't want to donate via their team site, you can donate directly on the Society's site, either way 100% of the money goes directly to the Society for research.

These diseases need our attention as they are the most common forms of cancer in children and young adults.

Good luck to you Zach, keep your spirits up!

Dave

Last edited:
oldradiostuff said:
Zach,

http://www.leukemia-lymphoma.org

Even a little donation helps; if you don't want to donate via their team site, you can donate directly on the Society's site, either way 100% of the money goes directly to the Society for research.

These diseases need our attention as they are the most common forms of cancer in children and young adults.

Good luck to you Zach, keep your spirits up!

Dave

Yeap I'm a mmember, "ZachMan" or now "ZachMc" on the forums.

I just got home from the funeral of my BIL's mom and lost a good friend in college to cancer.

Best of luck to you and my prayers are with you.

That depression thing is insidious, if it really gets going, you may not be aware of how bad it is until it stops. You may want to get some counciling, mostly for your friends and family. Your friends and family can help make you aware that you may be slipping into a depression, if you recognize the signs you can fight it. If you slip into it without noticing, you may not even realize it's happening until it stops. Make sense?, it is hard to explain.
Personally, I've come close to death maybe ten times. A hundred years ago, I would likely have died 8 times already.
I figure every day after a near miss, is good time. And it may be a little megalomaniac, but I'm likely still here for a reason.
You don't fight this stuff from a position of fear. Fear is a passing emotion, more of a hormone spike.
You fight it not for yourself, but for the people who love you.

stay strong.

like 8mud said, keep that depression out of your life. it sucks to fight two enemies at once, but you'll be all the better for it.

stay up beat, stay positive. you WILL get over it.

take care of yourself.
Travis

Good luck mate. It is a terriable thing to see someone so young suffer so much. Call me if you want to talk. If you don't have my numbers let me know I'll get them to you.

Thanks everyone, looks like I'll be going out to Houston to MD Anderson this time around, time to pull out the big guns.

ZachMan said:
Thanks everyone, looks like I'll be going out to Houston to MD Anderson this time around, time to pull out the big guns.

Give 'em hell

ZachMan said:
Glad you are getting the big guns. I know medical professionals really do their best work for young people so stay positive.

Good luck, I am deeply sorry for the suffering and mental anguish you must be going through. Makes me want to kick my own butt for feeling sorry for my measly problems.
Art

Back