• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Well I did it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
drbobxj said:
Why does everyone think if you weld a D30 or D35 its going to break????

IF He didn't break it before it will be fine. LOTS of people have been welding diffs for meny years and LOTS of people have lockers in D35

So get over it, With any axle they will break at some point, just don't put to large of a tire on a small axle, D35 welded can do just fine up 33" same with a NON-welded D35, and its alot about how you drive, anyone can break a axle with any size of tire if they want to..

Plus I think most peole here just repeat what everyone else is saying even if they have never had a locker or welded axle. so they don't know!

For one, I still can't believe this thread is still going. Secondly it's not the issue of welding the spider gears that is people are injecting on. It's how he went about doing it.

That's my additional 2 pennies.

My buddy has a welded 35 with 35 inch mud kings. And he hammers that thing. People underestimate this axle. As far as how it looks. Who gives a rats a$$? How many people are going to be crawling under there and pulling the cover off to look at it? 99% of the time something breaks it is because of an idiot driver more then because of the equipment.

Were we live this is the most common thing to do. I bet ya 85% of rigs on our trails in Winnipeg, MB are welded. We have some very goooey mud and these guys only spend like 200-1500 bucks on their rigs. Once the weld goes, the truck is parted out and/or sold. It's so ghetto but amusing.

I like a welded up diff because it doubles your traction cheap. They are dangerous for the street but.... The issue with what he has done is just the fact that he overkilled on the welding and it was kinda different. I'm sure it acomplished what he wanted but really you can pop the diff cover and put a few small beads on the spiders and they will never turn. Less than a rod is all you need. I think he thought he needed to imatate a spool and he did a great job of that but like I said a little dab of weld will lock the spiders and instant traction. All this talk about breaking would realy apply to everbody that installed any locker in a dana 35. Spooled up is somwhat harder on the rear but thats because it is locked all the time and in turns.Breaking the little welds on the spider gears still does not allow them to spin and it stays locked. Once you run a locked up vehicle off road you will never want to run open again even if it means welding.

Stumpalump said:
All this talk about breaking would realy apply to everbody that installed any locker in a dana 35. Spooled up is somwhat harder on the rear but thats because it is locked all the time and in turns.

You're forgetting that you are destroying the temper on already weak spider gears. I broke the spiders on my OPEN d35 by making a u-turn under throttle with 32's.

Welding a d35 is about the stupidest thing you can do to a jeep.

someone get a picture or "PROPER" welded gears...

Smittty9785 said:
someone get a picture or "PROPER" welded gears...

noslipexplode1.gif

Its a good idea to heat the carrier as hot as possible before welding it up then letting it cool at its own pace before re installing. This is the best way to retain the heat treating. Depending on how you do it your drive pin will turn to glass lol, saw that this weekend.

It may no be pretty but I don't really see a problem with the work - other than you should have welded the "mess" to the carrier to make sure it does not turn anymore, and that will keep the cross pin from breaking. I would (maybe you did) have used nickle rod and pre-heated/post-heated the entire unit while trying to keep the welding heat down during the job.

It should hold up and not fail (the welds). Hopefully it is not a c-clipped axle (maybe it was posted earlier but I missed it).

I would not spend the money on upgrading a 35 axle either. I would not do this to a c-clipped 35 though.

To each their own. If you were on the trail with me - I would help you out if it broke (maybe a razz or 2 included - esp. if it was a c-clipped axle :) )

:D

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back