• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Bought this last weekend to tow my junk around. The Suburban did well most of the time, but it really struggled in the mountains. New truck has the 7.3 diesel and ZF 5 speed manual transmission. It's got some mileage on it, but it's been taken good care of with plenty of service records that came with the sale.

Went to lazy 5 ranch with TJC yesterday. It was a freaking blast. It's a drive thru zoo where you can feed all the animals from your vehicle. Was even able to feed the giraffes but had to stand on my half doors to get tall enough haha. For anyone that's interested, it's located in Mooresville, NC.

Got home a couple hours ago from the Stones River Jeep Club's event for "Go Topless Day 2016." We rode to Falls Creek Falls for a picnic. It wasn't great as far as events go. We were a caravan of about 40 Jeeps and it was all highway driving. Took a 45 minute pit stop for a bathroom break, and by the time we hit the shelter house at the park, the temps dropped down below 60*. There were two XJs in the event. We only stuck around long enough to eat a sandwich, then went to see the Falls, which were really cool. We were able to hike down to the base.

We left Fall Creek Falls State Park and my daughter and I went to Center Hill Lake where we had a campsite reserved. Ended the day with hot dogs, a camp fire, and roasted marshmallows.

Unfortunately the temps dipped down into the 30s overnight which makes for lousy sleeping. About 8:30 this morning though the sun was out and warming everything up. I guess it was close to 70* by the time we got the tent down and the Jeep loaded.

Overall, it was worth the cold and Wrangler company to see a couple beautiful spots in Middle TN and hang with my daughter. Here are a couple shots - part of the group (I'm the odd one out), the falls, and the lake we camped by.

012D4D17-DDD4-470A-95C0-C9E6C02D172F_zpsut5vfdfl.jpg

6214886A-BC15-4BC4-9FC4-F2CA89144921_zpskkijplno.jpg

878BFF09-4F48-4DD6-BB49-0503C7574035_zps1wlcriek.jpg

Nice! My family and I have been going to see some local waterfalls lately but they're not nearly as nice as that one.

Nice. Will the Jeep fit on the flat bed? That'd be cool... Build some extension ramps.

I've seriously thought about it but the bed is only 12' so it would have to be a short rig. I don't think the XJ would fit without extensions. I'm not 100% sure on the truck's load rating yet, but from what I've seen so far it can only carry 5,650# of cargo on the frame. That flat bed uses up probably between 1200-1500# of that capacity so weight would be something to consider.

I've seriously thought about it but the bed is only 12' so it would have to be a short rig. I don't think the XJ would fit without extensions. I'm not 100% sure on the truck's load rating yet, but from what I've seen so far it can only carry 5,650# of cargo on the frame. That flat bed uses up probably between 1200-1500# of that capacity so weight would be something to consider.

Removable 4' extension ramps. Do IT.

Got the grinding done on the front driveshaft yokes. Really just need to build a new X-member so I can clock the D300 down one notch and alleviate the actual issue but hopefully it will hold up for one more trip.

Buried the rear end in sugar sand up the pumpkin and engaged the 60 for the first time and she pulled herself right out.

Bled the brakes again. Still mushy pedal but it does stop. I am probably going to have to get a '95 XJ booster and MC but we're going to flush the system and put all fresh fluid in it to see how good it will get. I've read a lot on the E-350 MC, the dodge 2500 MC etc but there's so many conflicting stories on what works or not so who knows.

Alas not enough time to do the rear bumper work I want to do before the Crawl this year but that's minimal for next year as long as the rest holds up!

Is it JUNE (25th) YET!!

Got the grinding done on the front driveshaft yokes. Really just need to build a new X-member so I can clock the D300 down one notch and alleviate the actual issue but hopefully it will hold up for one more trip.

Buried the rear end in sugar sand up the pumpkin and engaged the 60 for the first time and she pulled herself right out.

Bled the brakes again. Still mushy pedal but it does stop. I am probably going to have to get a '95 XJ booster and MC but we're going to flush the system and put all fresh fluid in it to see how good it will get. I've read a lot on the E-350 MC, the dodge 2500 MC etc but there's so many conflicting stories on what works or not so who knows.

Alas not enough time to do the rear bumper work I want to do before the Crawl this year but that's minimal for next year as long as the rest holds up!

Is it JUNE (25th) YET!!

I have the Dodge MC. I've got the Napa part number written down somewhere if you want it. I added a 96 Booster at the same time and with disk brakes all the way around I can lock up my 38s. The only thing I had to really do was make a new push rod out of a grade 8 1/4-28 bolt. Was actually very easy to do.

Is it JUNE (25th) YET!!

I have the Dodge MC. I've got the Napa part number written down somewhere if you want it. I added a 96 Booster at the same time and with disk brakes all the way around I can lock up my 38s. The only thing I had to really do was make a new push rod out of a grade 8 1/4-28 bolt. Was actually very easy to do.

I have this mod too. My brakes stop the jeep good but they do not lock up at all. I think it's my rears that lock and fronts don't. I even have a adjustable proportioning valve.

About to board the 1st of 3 flights to get back to the US. Flying is always so much fun, the endless hours of sitting and doing nothing

Sent from my GT-P5210 using Tapatalk

I have this mod too. My brakes stop the jeep good but they do not lock up at all. I think it's my rears that lock and fronts don't. I even have a adjustable proportioning valve.

I removed the spring and piston from my prop valve so there's equal pressure front and rear. Rear locks up first and then the front.

23 out of 36 hours sitting on planes, the rest in taxis, airports, and my truck. But got home, got beer, shower, and clean clothes. Now to deal with this 12 hour jet lag before my new job starts on monday, it's 4:30 am and I'm not even slightly tired

Anyone going to see this tonight.

It is a one night only showing at select theaters nationwide.

They are showing it at Expo West tonight.

I'm excited to see it.

https://www.astoryfilm.com/

wow, that looks like a bunch of hypochondriacs on dirt bikes. just a bit ago I took a 350 motorcycle with street tires down this in Shivapuri national park in Nepal, but it wouldn't idle and had a hell of a time going uphill, so I only took pictures when I was on perfect terrain, the tough shit and when I was riding less than a foot from the edge, didn't take pictures. and yeah I had to follow a stupid cow that refused to get off the path for over a mile as well, but if I had as wide road as they did in that trailer, I would have passed almost immediately. I passed some local goat herders who used their only English so say "No no, you not make it" but I knew I couldn't go back up some of the hills I just went down, so I kept going. Had to push it uphill while high rpm riding the clutch at the same time, but I made it! About 5 or 6 times I had to stop and pull vines and branches out of the pedals and such that got snagged in there and I was dragging

But actually less scary than being lost driving through Kathmandu, crazy traffic and everyone drives on the wrong side (British left) of the road

Even in the trailer those idiots were worried about driving off the road with a 8 ft wide rd. there were several times on this trail I got off and stood on the uphill bank, and pushed it through some rocks, because the cliff was about 4" from my left side, not even enough to set a foot down on that side of the bike. With rocks and leaves and steep slopes pushing the tires all over, definitely not an easy ride. Nothing I saw in that clip was even close to this basic mountain trail in Nepal, and I didn't even go on any "difficult" roads. Looks like a bunch of mediocre riders trying to hype it up and make some money with a shitty video

P1020301.jpg

P1020304.jpg

Last edited:
Back