• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Picked these up for the Jeep today at pull-a-part:

1003156a.jpg

$70 for both front and the rear. Came out of a 90 Limited with 188K on it. Going to put them in my 99 on Friday and see if I can't it wired up at the same time. Selling my current seats to my buddy's brother who has a 98 SE for what I paid for the leathers...so i'll be breaking even :)

get it so it will idle at the correct RPM and set the timing (vacuum advance disconnected if equipped) and fine tune the mixture for highest engine vacuum after that.

Picked these up for the Jeep today at pull-a-part:

1003156a.jpg

$70 for both front and the rear. Came out of a 90 Limited with 188K on it. Going to put them in my 99 on Friday and see if I can't it wired up at the same time. Selling my current seats to my buddy's brother who has a 98 SE for what I paid for the leathers...so i'll be breaking even :)

damn you-- you got me by $5.00-- got mine for $75.00!
004-2.jpg

006-1.jpg

lol! Apparently though the 90's won't bolt right up to a 99...I've been told only 95-01 were direct swaps....guess i'm gonna have to get creative on mounting them.

get it so it will idle at the correct RPM and set the timing (vacuum advance disconnected if equipped) and fine tune the mixture for highest engine vacuum after that.
do you mean set the timing with the light? where do i connect the vacuum guage? do i need to plug up a bunch of vacuum lines? also, after sitting overnight, it wouldn't start without ether...

So did Ford. My 79 and 86 both had them iirc. Except Ford had theirs auto retract.
really? where were they located on the trucks? under the hood? next time i am in the yard i will look for them.

set the timing with the light? yes
where do i connect the vacuum guage? intake vacuum port (any on intake) do i need to plug up a bunch of vacuum lines? only vacuum advance on dist. also, after sitting overnight, it wouldn't start without ether...it probably needs a choke adjustment-- butterfly should close when cold and open as it warms up

it has an oil temp sensor that controls the choke, and half of the plug that goes on that sensor is broke off, so i doubt the choke's doin its job properly...

just run it (start with ether if need be) until it reaches operating temp and verify the choke plate is open and the throttle is off the fast idle cam. From this point, make any necessary adjustments to timing mixture and idle speed.

just run it (start with ether if need be) until it reaches operating temp and verify the choke plate is open and the throttle is off the fast idle cam. From this point, make any necessary adjustments to timing mixture and idle speed.
alright. it also kinda shuts off when i hit the brakes while turning, i guess that's part of the carb adjustment. i haven't had a chance to even pop the hood since i got it home, because it has rained nonstop at my house. i'm tempted to take it to the covered parking garage at the library and tweak it there....

take a tarp and attach it to the house via gutter or whatever and then pull it back and attach to roof or rear of vehicle or mirrors ... makeshift carport :D

Very creative....:wave:

it also kinda shuts off when i hit the brakes while turning, i guess that's part of the carb adjustment.

I'm assuming it's the factory carb (Motorcraft 2150 family), but dieing under braking is often a result of improperly adjusted float level. It's kinda a PITA on those, as you must remove the carb, pull the top off, turn it upside-down, and bend a tab 'til the float is positioned correctly (stretching my feeble old memory on that one)

get everything else set as best you can, make sure you don't have ANY vacuum leaks and see if it still does it. If it does, buy a new float (trust me) and instal it before setting the final height.

I'm assuming it's the factory carb (Motorcraft 2150 family), but dieing under braking is often a result of improperly adjusted float level. It's kinda a PITA on those, as you must remove the carb, pull the top off, turn it upside-down, and bend a tab 'til the float is positioned correctly (stretching my feeble old memory on that one)

get everything else set as best you can, make sure you don't have ANY vacuum leaks and see if it still does it. If it does, buy a new float (trust me) and instal it before setting the final height.

it's a brand new(3k miles since installed on old motor) 2150 from vatozone, but i was checkin aound and found a ton of unplugged vacuum lines, including several on the carb, the egr, and the stuff for the 4x4 switch on the dash...
i'll mess with the vacuum junk tomorrow i guess, i've decided that a lot of my tappy sounding "exhaust leaks" i think are coming from the motor. sounds like tappy rockers. i changed the oil today, and put some lucas in there, and a buddy of mine says it might get quieter as i drive it. i'm not really in the mood to swap another motor into it straightaway, so i guess i'll drive it till it blows up again, then sell a bunch of crack or something to try to buy a cummins 4bt.

Senior Design breakfast meeting with my team, mentor, and sponsor yesterday morning, followed by an all day process of fabbing those seats into the Jeep. Got back home around 1am and now I'm off to work till 3....I really need to stop staying out late on days I have to open at work!

Replaced the rear output seal on my SYE then removed the roof rack and everything that was on it. Gave the whole jeep a good pressure washing that was long overdue. Started planning for an interior tire mount/platform thing.

Drove up to Liberty with the GF to have dinner with her family and her grand parents on her grand parent's farm...got home around midnight and worked 9-4. Cleaned up my seats after work this afternoon and now working on the mountain of homework that's due tomorrow.

The weekend...lets see....Sat morning removed and replaced the front yoke with the broken bolt in it...greased every nipple that would accept it...greased Aaron's LCA's...found some bolts to mount the high lift to the bumper...Loaded up and headed to 282 for a day of rain, mud, and trail riding with DrRandy, redneck, and the CAOS crew...hosed off the underside of the jeep...ate pizza and went to sleep. Sunday...washed the wife's ride, my ride, not the jeep, bug bombed the jeep in attempt to kill every last ant in it...and there were many....ran my ride over for an oil change and rotation...took a nap (bout an hour, felt really good!)...got up, watched the end of an Imagination Movers episode with my 3 year old, replaced the front brakes on the wife's ride...picked up my ride....vacuumed out everything I could reach in the jeep...pulled some more useless wires out of it...found that my driver side carpet is wet, hmmm.....parked the jeep in it's resting place-still not washed....read some stories to the 6 year old...ate dinner...now going to but all the work stuff back in my ride, and finish Friday's paper work...then hopefully sleep. Busy weekend:viking:

Back