• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

Guessing you meant Wilmington NC...Carolina Beach is minutes away from Wilmington too...

doh. you're correct.

I'm gonna have to drive down and do some weekend wheelin' if this pans out.

Just walked in the door from another great camping trip at Carolina Beach. For once nothing bad happened and actually something good instead! Got to witness a wedding on the beach last night and the subsequent party there after.

Couldn't have asked for better beach weather. Not a drop of rain on the beach, and temps in the low-mid 80's during the day. I did find out though...you can in fact get a wicked sun burn even if you sit under a 10'x10' easy-up all day...regardless of the fact you made it a point to stay in the shade the entire time.

The set up for the weekend:

625622_10100477223846747_1441920840_n.jpg

damnit!!! I've been gone for a week-or-so-- letting my 15yr old daughter use the computer for her games and stuff. I missed the trip entirely:cry:

I had hoped to make the trip as a rich, single, un-caring person..... maybe next year.

The bad news is: I'll be back on here more often soon........:skull1:

We're planning at least one, possibly two more trips. Would like to do the next one in roughly a month from now.

^^ looks like fun!

I finally got my new tie rod cut, now I just have to make sure it fits properly then it will get welded. I also drilled out and ground down one knuckle. Soon the new tie rod will be installed. Finally.

went wheelin the other day, and during some high-rpm action in a spot that was waaaayy muddier than i wanted to be in my heater control valve popped, and all my coolant puked out. i plan to fix it tomorrow.
b06bbdba.jpg

4021a017.jpg

b7874561.jpg

no great pics, as i was busy not getting stuck, but yeah, neat spot near a creek, and a decent spot to swim with a rope swing.

Solved my death wobble!
:roll:

huh.

If I get hired by one of the companies I'm interviewing with, there's a chance I'll be in the SEC (Wilmington SC area) on business for a few weeks once in a while. Can't say more than that yet.

Wilmington NC is a cool town. Carolina Beach is my favorite beach. If you do take your rig out on the sand go out down at Fort Fisher. Way less people down there, Freeman Park is crazy.

Redid valve cover gasket, replaced thermostat, removed old water pump, redid battery cables with ones from 5-90. Ran out of time before I could get the harmonic damper off to get to the timing cover to do the front seals.

I also found out my new xj has been in a small front right collision.

Today I should be able to get the damper off today and finish up redoing the front seals and start on the rear seal this week.

Waiting on parts for my coolant filter.

Also picked up a 29 spline 8.25 and drive shaft. Gonna put discs on it before I throw it underneath and maybe an Aussie locker or something like it.

What was it Chad?

There was a lot worn out on my front end. Wheel hubs, three of four ball joints...

But what cured it was the new LCAs. The old busings were shot.

I didn't touch the UCA bushings. I bought a set but am going to hold off until I install that HP axle you gave me.

There was a lot worn out on my front end. Wheel hubs, three of four ball joints...

But what cured it was the new LCAs. The old busings were shot.

I didn't touch the UCA bushings. I bought a set but am going to hold off until I install that HP axle you gave me.

Cool! if you still get a touch of it I would suspect the UCA's, that is where I always find the problem at.

White smoke? Black smoke? Blue smoke?

I call it blue smoke...

Terrible picture but here's the smoke...

2012-06-23_17-23-36_231.jpg

Here's the head when I pulled it off.

DSCF8107.jpg

The valves were nasty and greasy.

Grimmy cylinders

DSCF8117.jpg

DSCF8112.jpg

I had the head reworked. Surfaced, new valve stem seals, valve seats ground...

Compression test on the engine before the head was removed was 150-155psi across the board. I figured the rings were fine.

I was loosing 1 quart of oil every 1-2 weeks. Coolant was staying fine. No coolant in the oil.

Ultimately I felt like a head gasket and new valve stem seals would fix the issue.

Reworked head.

2012-08-06_19-08-55_685.jpg

Put it all back together.

plug.jpg

Started it up, let it idle for about 20 minutes, walk back and check and see the same smoke as before...

Now, Maybe it hasn't completely burnt off all that old crap. I cleaned as much crap off the top of the piston as I could but I couldn't get it all. Maybe it'll clear up after I drive it a bit?

Tho, it is running quieter and smoother than ever before.

Back