• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Weekend is over...what did you get done?

First off, someone really needs to teach that Stump guy some fabrication skills. What a mess! :cheers:

Second off, I got my drop brackets ordered this morning. So, in the next few weeks I can get my Jeep back on the road at 5.5" and with a SYE conversion.

Problem is I have been out of town all but about 150 hours since March 14th. Then out again from the 11-15th and from the 24th to May 1! Hard to get things done on the Jeep when the only time I am home I am asleep or getting yard work done!!!

How much do you have wrapped up in the retrofit?

Normally all the parts I got from TheRetrofitSource.com would cost $375 but they are based out of Atlanta and had an open house a couple of weekends ago. They also had a open house clearance sale/giveaway where they were giving some things away for free and other things they were selling for dirt cheap. I walked out of there with a full bi-xenon projector setup (wiring harness, bulbs, projectors, shrouds, etc.) and some angel eyes for them for $100. And since then I have spent $80 on supplies to do the retrofit (mainly stuff for the dremel and all that is so freaking expensive). So, so far I have roughly $180 in it right now which isn't bad at all.

Which projectors? I'd be interested in a write-up I have had a pair of projectors hanging around for awhile.

I went with the Morimoto Mini H1 projectors. I have taken a ton of pictures and plan to do a write-up on how I did my retrofit after I get it all done and aligned properly.

Im gonna guess 50 pounds +/-, its thinner than most plate bumper we are used to. I will weigh it when its done.

That's less than I was thinking, but the gauge does make a difference, huh? So what do you think the piece of plastic you pulled off weighs? 10#?

I didnt pull the skin off, but probably 8-10#. The plastic molded bumper thing that goes behind the skin weighs 12 pounds.

It really shouldnt add any noticeable weight.

IMG_20120403_141633.jpg

I didnt pull the skin off, but probably 8-10#. The plastic molded bumper thing that goes behind the skin weighs 12 pounds.

It really shouldnt add any noticeable weight.

IMG_20120403_141633.jpg

Forester's are cool. You just have to be sure to get one with good head gaskets.

Ok So I finally got them done and put in today just need to put the rest of the grill on but here they are sitting in the headlight buckets.

Just the angel eyes
19dae81e.jpg

Low Beams
5f864817.jpg

Here they are during the day with the Jeep parked at the opening of a garage.
1bc3bb94.jpg

I am having one bit of trouble with it though. With the headlights on, if I turn the high beams on they come on, but when I turn the high beams off and go back to low beams, the high beams stay on. The high beams won't go back off until I turn the headlights off completely. I got a completely new harness with this setup that is basically the same as an upgrade harness that alot of guys drop in to get more light out of stock headlights or drop in H4 conversion housings. My only guess is maybe I have a relay that is sticking. Anyone else have a better idea to what might be causing this? The projectors just have a little shield that moves inside of it to allow more light to escape for high beams so I know this doesn't have anything to do with the ballasts.

Last edited:
any of you jeep goobers know what size bolts attach the engine and trans together? i need to pick up hardware to put my motor and trans together but i cant really bring the block with me to see what fits....

any of you jeep goobers know what size bolts attach the engine and trans together? i need to pick up hardware to put my motor and trans together but i cant really bring the block with me to see what fits....

5-90 has all that info. I think it's a M12 bolt. Not sure the size though.

There are a couple sizes, I don't remember sizes but there are the god forsaken inverse torx at the top, two long main bolts on the side, two shorter that require a nut on the bottom, starter, and a handful of small ones for the flex plate.

2x 1.75" 3/8-16 grade8 at the top (E12s stock) and 2x 3" 7/16-14 grade8 at the "wings" on the block. I used 2" 3/8 bolts at the top with a grade 8 flat washer and cut lockwasher to make up some of the height difference and it came out perfect. One of the starter bolts is the same 3/8-16 2" but I'm not sure what the other is.

there are some metric bolts on thebottom of the bellhousing (the really huge ones that hold on the inspection plate) but none of them hold the two together. All the bolts into the back of the engine are SAE.

Ha, i was thinking "wonder when Ken is gonna reply"! :D

the funny thing is that I have a set of those bolts sitting on my desk/workbench right in front of the space bar on my keyboard.

Back