• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Wanted: rear axle for '92 XJ Sport

Peach95

NAXJA Forum User
Hey everyone!
So the rear axle on my XJ is starting to get the "Ford Clunk" going into drive, and especially into reverse since the gears are getting so worn after 208k miles and plenty of rough use. I'll be taking a 6k-mile road trip in it this Summer, so I'm hoping to swap it out for one in better condition before then (leaving July 20th ish) to have that extra peace of mind.

Wondering if anyone would have one that they'd get rid of for cheap/free that'd swap right on. Willing to come pull it, too. Don't know for sure if it's a D35 of a Chrysler 8.25, but I'll try to find out soon. Let me know if you have something please!

Thanks,
Nolan

Are you sure its the axle itself and not the driveshaft? If you have the factory slip joint (not SYE) greasing the splines under the rubber boot could solve the problem.

Don't know for sure if it's a D35 of a Chrysler 8.25, but I'll try to find out soon.

A '92 XJ will have a D35. For the 4.0 engine, Auto trans will be 3:55 gear ratio, manual will be 3:07.

Another suggestion: Check the trans mount on the cross member. If it's torn or has come apart completely, it can cause a pretty good clunk when shifting from drive to reverse.

But yeah, it wouldn't suprise me if your ring and pinion have a whole lot more space between the teeth after 208K miles.

Are you sure its the axle itself and not the driveshaft? If you have the factory slip joint (not SYE) greasing the splines under the rubber boot could solve the problem.

The rubber boot didnt come into production until '95. From the factory, his '92 will have the cast aluminum tail cone and bushing.

If those t-case output shaft splines are clunking on a '95 and later output shaft, they should have been greased long ago and would be too worn now for grease to stop the clunking.

A '92 XJ will have a D35. For the 4.0 engine, Auto trans will be 3:55 gear ratio, manual will be 3:07.

Another suggestion: Check the trans mount on the cross member. If it's torn or has come apart completely, it can cause a pretty good clunk when shifting from drive to reverse.

But yeah, it wouldn't suprise me if your ring and pinion have a whole lot more space between the teeth after 208K miles.

The rubber boot didnt come into production until '95. From the factory, his '92 will have the cast aluminum tail cone and bushing.

If those t-case output shaft splines are clunking on a '95 and later output shaft, they should have been greased long ago and would be too worn now for grease to stop the clunking.

Thanks for all the info on that! I was thinking it was probably a D35, but wasn't entirely sure. And both me and my brother were thinking it's likely the axle itself, but I'll check that out.

Thanks again!

I imagine clarky is lookin at it all. So if he's saying its diff it's diff. I would doubt Clark on a diag for something.

If I were you I'd junk yard an 8.8 and be happy. Find a l/s in your ratio, set it up, clean it and toss ER in.

Well, I was actually just at Clark's shop yesterday tossing on some other parts and we took a look at it again. Turns out that noise is actually coming from the t-case by the sound of it, and not the axle. So thanks for all of your suggestions and offers, but I guess I don't need one after all.

Looks like she'll just wait a bit and get a set of D60's! :)

Back