• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Walker Valley 3-4-07, what a day!!!

The language had me rollin' on the floor.

Tim made that climb look so easy that I debated following him all of 5 seconds. From behind it did not look like he gunned it or took it that slow. Just steady and smooth.

Later

T&A-XJ said:
Nice save, actually...lucky save! looked as if you were on the wrong side of the ridge, hard to tell though my computer chopped up the vid pretty bad.

I agree no skill involved in that save, just luck, and alot of it.
I started out on the correct side of the ridge. I think what happened was my front end went airborne and came down on the wrong side of it. I stayed in the throttle and it just sucked me down.

2xtreme said:
Not sure that you really want those "Cool Rocker Replacements"
Your "not so cool" rock sliders might have saved your entire rig!

I have not been to the rock face yet, so I can't say for sure. But from what I have seen of several video's I wonder if less wheel and vehicle speed might not be safer? Normally (not always) less speed means less speed for what happened to you.

Rock sliders. I agree, they were definatley integral in keeping me rubber side down.

I really want to watch Tim(T&A-XJ) go up that again. The last time we were up there he made the most graceful ascent I have ever seen. He did it with much less speed.

TRSCobra said:
Hey! I didn't know I had an accent until I got here!

Oh, and:
IMGP0689.jpg

Bushwackers-- gone! :party:
SCOOOOOOP
beavisnbutthead.gif

Blkxjkrawler said:
I agree no skill involved in that save, just luck, and alot of it.
I started out on the correct side of the ridge. I think what happened was my front end went airborne and came down on the wrong side of it. I stayed in the throttle and it just sucked me down.

Ahh, my computers video card is about done, so I pretty much got a slideshow with sound. I wasnt baggin on your skills, just saying you are lucky it stopped where it did!

T&A-XJ said:
Ahh, my computers video card is about done, so I pretty much got a slideshow with sound. I wasnt baggin on your skills, just saying you are lucky it stopped where it did!

little off topic here but how the fawk is a flash video lagging on your computer. Sounds more like it would be a bandwidth issue or your flash plugin is out of date(or some nasty malware on there).

2xtreme said:
Ryan,

Not sure that you really want those "Cool Rocker Replacements;" without that lower rock slider, you might have had nothing to catch on? Your "not so cool" rock sliders might have saved your entire rig!
I think it was actually his front axle that was keeping him upright. The rocks had some pretty serious gouges in 'em after we got him winched off.

2xtreme said:
I have not been to the rock face yet, so I can't say for sure. But from what I have seen of several video's I wonder if less wheel and vehicle speed might not be safer? Normally (not always) less speed means less speed for what happened to you. I can imagine it took quite some time to retreive your seat!! Then again, it is very difficult to keep your wheel speed down when Matt is spotting ya. ;)
I tried the rock a couple times after Ryan and I tried to creep it for the same reasons you're describing. It just is too steep; you have to hit it with a little bit of speed. At least that's how Tim (who left a LOT of rubber on the rock face as a guide for Ian and I last time), myself and Ian made it up the first trip.

-----Matt-----

IXNAYXJ said:
I tried the rock a couple times after Ryan and I tried to creep it for the same reasons you're describing. It just is too steep; you have to hit it with a little bit of speed. At least that's how Tim (who left a LOT of rubber on the rock face as a guide for Ian and I last time), myself and Ian made it up the first trip.

-----Matt-----

x2

That's how the guys got up on every trip I've been on up there. Is that rock formation still covered in moss? :D

KarlVP said:
No, I took care of that for us.

The trick is to stay right, and hammer down. The SECOND you feel yourself sliding left, it's time to re-evaluate your situation.[/quote]

I 'll second that karl. Unfortunatley my seat cushion was reavaluating its postion under my ass at the same time.

Oh, Michael and Matt, your both wrong. Left hand control arm and drop bracket. I'm really glad I put those DB's in on saturday. If they werent there, I might not have stopped.

Last edited:
Ryan, where are you guys entering Walker at? A friend was up there Sunday with a slightly modded Isuzu trooper and claims there is no way in unless you are "extreme". I thought you were at the main entrance off Hiway 9 (?).

Metal Thrasher said:
Ryan, where are you guys entering Walker at? A friend was up there Sunday with a slightly modded Isuzu trooper and claims there is no way in unless you are "extreme". I thought you were at the main entrance off Hiway 9 (?).

Yup, walker valley road, off hwy9 then peter burns road right into the parking area. there are two entrances to the trails. One you go up the hill into the rock quarry. this is just out of the parking area maybe a quarter mile down the road and is signed. thats were the toyota's were stuck, but it should be passable by a vehicle with decent tires and good throttle modulation. the other is quite a ways further and involves a bypass around a gate. This IS allowed and was set up as a kind of gatekeeper by the DNR if you cant pass those rocks you have no business on the trails inside.
Heres the gate
100_0527.jpg

:roll: I think those rocks might have scarred his Trooper... He lives at Big Lake so I'll tell him to come watch the XJs roll through later this month. Thanx!!

Back