• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

VSS Testing Question

smarrs

NAXJA Forum User
Hi all, I've got a 2000 XJ, auto, 4wd. My speedo quit working yesterday. Through searching I found a few things to try.

I cleaned the ground points on the side of the block and fenderwell, pulled the VSS and inspected the gear (it looks like new), the contacts look nice and clean. I also pulled the cluster and tightened the screws to the board, and performed the cluster test (tested fine).

Now I am trying to figure out how to test the wires. I checked pin one and am getting 5.13v. My first question is about testing pin 2. I'm supposed to get a reading of 0 (or close to) ohms, if I understand correctly. If the ignition is on I'm reading around 16 ohms, with it off it varies from 0 to -.2 ohms. Am I supposed to test pin 2 with the ignition in the on position or in the off position? My second question is about pin 3. Is there any sort of test that I can/should do on it?

I am just trying to rule everything out before I go and buy a new VSS. I've read numerous threads where people have replaced it and it was not the issue. If there are any other suggestions of what to try I would appreciate it. Thanks in advance!

checking with key on you should have 5v, 0v and 0v

key off the 2 with 0v should have less than .5 ohms.

Back