• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vibration in the rear end

Joshua13

NAXJA Forum User
My wheels are balanced.
I've checked DS u joints.
When I lifted the rear end off the ground, the LHS wheel seems to be catching on something. It goes slow for part of the rotation and then faster.
What is my next step? Inside the wheel or diff?
What am I looking for?
Ktw5c0W

That's how a diff works and you've got a fluid leak!

The tires were balanced on a Hunter Road Force Balance machine that will detect out of round tires and/or rims ? My local independent tire shop works on tires for everything from commercial lawn mowers to 18 Wheelers and front end loaders. My XJ and CJ-7 tires are always perfectly balanced.

Often retail tire stores are helpless and clueless with anything that isn't 100% stock.

Last edited:
That's how a diff works and you've got a fluid leak!

What do you mean that's how a diff works? I don't think there should be a point in the rotation where it gets stuck.
I know that it's an open diff and only wheel spins, but the other wheel seems to catch on something rather then just rotate freely. ...

If one tire turns, the diff is OK. If both tires turn sometimes, the diff is OK. If there are no big chunks of metal missing from the ring and pinon or the spider gears, the diff is OK. If there are no metal sparkles in the drained gear oil, the diff is OK.

If the wheel looks to be "catching" and there's a fluid leak, I would look at that wheel bearing... ppl often overlook a leak thinking it's just a seal problem

Sent from my SM-A426U using Tapatalk

Back