• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vernacular

yardape

NAXJA Member #272
Reading a recent post I found myself having a knee-jerk reaction. Realizing it is all me, I grew up with the understanding that motors are powered by electricity and engines are powered by gasoline. In this recent thread just as there have been others I have read, I read over and over again by the originator of the post and people who responded, the 4.0 liter being referred to as a motor,..... as in "rebuilding a motor."

Is this a regional thing? I grew up in the north and in California. I'm not calling anyone stupid or foolish,.... we all know what everyone is refering to but I'm just curious. This sight is the only place I have ever heard what I call an engine being referred to repeatedly as a motor. Any thought?

Many people interchange the terms. It is not new, nor is it regional. It goes back quite a ways. It was certaininly intermixed before *this* site, and even the internet. Not "techinicaly" correct, but we all know what they intend.

What gets me is the little kiddies that talk about "my Jeep this, my house this, etc..." but it turns out it is all Mommy and Daddies stuff. Next thing you know, they grow big stories about supplying California with electricity etc... Everybody has their pet peeves I guess. :D

When the Vehicle was first produced, did they not refer to them quite often as a Motorcoach? Don't remeber hearing the Enginecoach used.

No pet peeve,... just have never become used to it,... and never thought about a motorcycle. that's a good point.

And how come Detroit is refered to as the "Motor" city, not the "Engine" city?

No problem ... My neighbor used to have a Toyota Landcruiser and everyone called it a Jeep.

We all go through an identity crisis from time to time...
Look at MJ, you would think he's a Jeep, but he's really a freak.
Don't give me bad reps for that !!

yardape said:
No pet peeve,... just have never become used to it,... and never thought about a motorcycle. that's a good point.

Engines have been referred to as: Database engine, computing engine, seem to remember it has something to do with ergs....

http://www.dictionary.com/
mo-tor
A device that converts any form of energy into mechanical energy, especially an internal-combustion engine or an arrangement of coils and magnets that converts electric current into mechanical power.

I've always figured an engine to be a type of motor, but not vice-versa...

God, what am I doing up this late?

ZmOz said:
You need to get out more.

Old and busted line.

Took you an hour and 45 mins to respond...and that's the best you could do?

The folks must not be home or fake Daddy would have come up with a better line than that.

:wierd:

ECKSJAY said:
Took you an hour and 45 mins to respond...and that's the best you could do?

The folks must not be home or fake Daddy would have come up with a better line than that.

:wierd:

This is starting to get funny :roflmao:

I seem to remember when Zmoz first showed up and was instantly flamed for having some big huge secret that made him cool, only to find it was being an Eagle Scout...he played nice for a while but I guess that got boring.

Back on topic: I've heard of the argument before, but I think its just a matter of semantics. The one that really confuses me is all these people talking about getting new "rims". I always wanna ask when they plan on getting the rest of the wheel. And its always people who claim to know about cars. I even make the mistake now because its just become such a common mistake.

BlackSport96 said:
The one that really confuses me is all these people talking about getting new "rims".

Well, loko at it this way. That's just a corruption of the term. At least it's not PVC valve (instead of PCV). That one drives me nuts.:mad:

Phil M. - 95 XJ, modded/99 WJ Limited, stock
I know John Galt.

John Galt said he's stop the motor of the world.

(And stop :twak: ZmOz, at least til I find out how he gets such good gas mileage.)

Back