• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

Vernacular

I figure you can get fussy about the vocabulary when you drive your enginecar (or other engineized vehicle) to the store for engine oil, and register it at the department of engine vehicles. Until then we'll have to settle for the imprecision of the term "motor," a catchall class of which an automobile engine is a member.

Matthew Currie said:
I figure you can get fussy about the vocabulary when you drive your enginecar (or other engineized vehicle) to the store for engine oil, and register it at the department of engine vehicles. Until then we'll have to settle for the imprecision of the term "motor," a catchall class of which an automobile engine is a member.

Bam!

I gotta change my PVC valve...

XJEEPER said:
Torque measured in lb/ft or ft/lbs?

There is actually a correct way to say it, it's just been too long since Statics class.

Torque is measured in ft-lb and moment arm is measured in lb-ft, or is it vise versa? I can't remember.

Dirk Pitt said:
Torque is measured in ft-lb and moment arm is measured in lb-ft, or is it vise versa? I can't remember.

I'm pretty sure that's right. Hell, you'd think a helicopter mechanic would know this.

Etymology refers to the study of the origins of words and language. Below are etymological definitions of the two words. Both of them go waaaaay back to long before electricity was discovered or the internal combustion engine invented.
HTH
B.

Motor
1447, from Latin motor, literally "mover," from movere "to move". From 15th century as "controller, prime mover" (in reference to God); sense of "agent or force that produces mechanical motion" is first recorded 1664; that of "machine that supplies motive power" is from 1856. With explosive use 20c. as a combined form of motor-car. First record of motor-cycle attested 1896; motor-boat is from 1902. Motor-car is from 1895; motorist is from 1896. Motorcade from 1913. First record of slang motor-mouth "fast-talking person" is from 1971.

Engine
Circa 1300, from Old French engin "skill, cleverness," also "war machine," from Latin ingenium "inborn qualities, talent," from in- "in" + gen-, root of gignere "to beget, produce." At first meaning a trick or device, or any machine (especially military); sense of one that converts energy to mechanical power is 18th century, especially of steam engines. Engineer "locomotive driver" is first attested 1839, American Engineer.

Beej, that rocks. It appeals to my nerdiness :laugh3:

Thanks! I will now be the life of the proverbial party!

Back