• Welcome to the new NAXJA Forum! If your password does not work, please use "Forgot your password?" link on the log-in page. Please feel free to reach out to [email protected] if we can provide any assistance.

variable timing 89 renix motor

DurbElites

NAXJA Forum User
does anyone know if the 89 renix motor had variable timing? a crankshaft key that lets the sprocket move about one tooth or do i need a new key cause its worn out?

does anyone know if the 89 renix motor had variable timing? a crankshaft key that lets the sprocket move about one tooth or do i need a new key cause its worn out?

From the factory, no. And, timing seems to be strictly a function of the ECU, per experimentation I've done.

If you play with the keys on the crankshaft timing sprocket or with the camshaft sprocket, you won't be altering ignition or fuel injection timing significantly - but you will be playing about with valvetrain event timing, which can have a significant effect on performance.

There are three timing systems that can be altered - ignition (spark) timing, fuel injection timing (usually done to help prevent detonation due to hot parts,) and valve event timing (which alters engine breathing and compression.) Of the three, the latter is the most significant (and typically the most difficult to alter, requiring at least partial engine disassembly.)

Back